SC2 Suggestion.

Potvin

Buy the rights to Clash of Steel, spruce it up, add live head-to-head, and a few SC extras and call it SC2.

I've read many of the suggested changes for SC II and most have already been implemented...ALMOST A DECADE AGO!

I've been waiting years for Clash of Steel II. I'd give an arm and a leg to see COS and SC morphed.

I'm serious! Why reinvent the wheel? How much do you think it costs to buy the rights to COS?

-Atlas

Bum: You got a quarter?

Hubert Cater: Sure...here you go, old-timer...wait a sec, you're the creator of COS!

Creator of COS: No, I'm not! No, I'm not! Even if I was, I did that in another state and there's no way you're extraditing me...

H. Cater: No, don't be afraid. I just wanted to tell you how much I admired your earlier work. It was truly an inspiration to me and was a guiding light in my early development as a game designer.

Creator of COS: Oh...okay, yeah, in that case, I did write COS.

H. Cater: I was wondering, how much you would be willing to part with the rights to COS for?

Creator of COS: $20!!!!

H. Cater: $20?

Creator of COS: $20, dammit! And not a quarter less.

H. Cater: Okay, sure. Let me see, I guess we'll have to get my lawyer to finalize this...

Creator of COS: Gimme, gimme...hey, wait a sec...why do you want the rights to COS?

H. Cater: Uhhh...

Creator of COS: $20 isn't enough! I want $100! No, wait, nothing more than $1000! $10,000! Screw that, $100,000! Wait, no, I want a gazillion million billion dollars!

H. Cater: Uhhh, never mind.

Creator of COS: Hey, come back here!

[ November 12, 2002, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Flash Gordon ]

Has anyone at BF asked?

Seriously.

The battle model in COS is much, much better. COS has winter effects, delayed purchasing, combined army operations, paratroops, engineers, better politics...etc. Add all this to SC graphics, AI tweats, dedication, head-to-head and you have a huge, huge WINNER.

Check it out: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/clashofsteel/files/

SC has kept my interest for only three days. SC+COS = SC2 and the best strategic WWII game ever.

I'd invest!

-ATLAS

This is an interesting proposal. I never played COS while it was out, and I have not been able to get the download from The Underdogs to run on my system to try it. But I have reviewed the rules and they look OK. SC is very similar but sufficiently different in many respects. The legal question would have to be where proprietary rights of COS end and artistic license of SC begins.

It's not like any one game designer today is creating a WWII simulation from scratch. So picking and choosing ideas and concepts from previous games and implementing them in some new version should be perfectly fine. Once SC is finalized and Hubert shifts gears to SC2 development, there's a wide range of ideas to sort through - COS, High Command, 3R/A3R, WiF, WIE, and various comments and suggestions from player feedback on the forum.

What's really great about SC is that there's a solid game engine to build on. The AI is actually very good, the political model works well and the game mechanics are virtually bug-free. All of the complaints about SC not being realistic enough or historically accurate for serious gamers can be resolved by tweaking the game mechanics, revising the scenarios, and perhaps adding a few new features. COS provides a good roadmap for SC2, but the other games have some nice features which should also be considered.

It's great to see so much interest in SC. Hopefully, all this enthusiam would warrant an SC2. Not sure one would need to buy the rights to COS to make a COS2. After all, let's face it, wouldn't an SC2 and a COS2 be equally nice to have? I'd consider either/or.

As originally posted by Bill Macon:

Once SC is finalized and Hubert shifts gears to SC2 development, there's a wide range of ideas to sort through - COS, High Command, 3R/A3R, WiF, WIE, and various comments and suggestions from player feedback on the forum.

Which will make it a unique and very playable game, no matter what is changed or included.

EVERYTHING is a result of everything else. Very precious little occurs in a vacuum. We build upon all other existing thoughts, ideas, imaginings, and only lately -- published materials. Good example is most of the architecture in Washington DC... hmmmm, think I've seen those Doric & Ionian columns somewhere before.

I played COS for awhile, back when my platform would support it, and you know what?

I put it away. After a short while, I just stopped playing it.

Why? It was pretty good, but it was flawed and there was NO WAY to get ahold of whoever made it, and suggest tweaks & fixes. It was what it was forever, and no future in sight.

That is not true of SC, and there are many reasons for that, the primary one being -- the personal interest and public commentary & committment of the designer.

Here, you are involved in the ongoing creation of what may well turn out to be the finest WW2 grand strategy game ever created.

Already it is very good. Can you stand it if it becomes the very best?

Hubert may or may not decide to continue. I sincerely hope that he does.

But IF he does, then everyone on this board will have some input and influence, and so, just how often does that happen -- since we seem to have quite a few aloof and mostly know-it-all game designers?

Visit some other sites and forums. Tell me how often the designer descends from Valhalla or Olympia and truly shares AND solicits opinions? ;)