Subs vs. Subs

Dan Fenton

My test results showed that a friendly sub can't chose to attack an enemy sub. Technology Levels are not relevent.

I loaded a 1942 head to head scenario. Rather than playing, I just build subs for all countries and manuevered the subs into sub vs. sub attack positions. I did not test for the French. German subs (with Advanced Sub Tech) could not attack UK, US or USSR subs. Italian subs could not also attack all Allied subs. No Allied sub was able to attack an German or Italian sub. The US and UK Sonar Tech did not matter.

Hubert told Bill Macon, who told me, that there is no special programming to permit AI subs to attack human controlled subs. I would speculate that previous reports of AI subs attacking human controlled subs were actually accidental encounters of AI subs by unlucky human controlled subs on the move.

Which would model real life In WWII subs could not effectively fight other subs (unless they were on or near the surface, thus acting as a surface ship) except by ramming them. It had to do with the way torpedos were designed- to run near the surface.

Submarines began being designed to kill other subs once they increased their payload, underwater duration, and range. Then, their impact area widened to include land targets, and thus in turn they became targets.

This began in earnest once subs began using nuclear reactors for power. This spurred a major tech race for submarine hunting and killing technologies.

That is interesting. Both you and Codename Condor have said that AI controlled subs attacked your human controlled subs. Yet Hubert says that there is no special programing to permit AI subs to attack human controlled subs. Maybe Hubert's AI subs have gone renegade on him.

We do seem to agree that human controlled subs can't attack human controlled or AI controlled subs and that technology is not relevant.

Funny thing is...everybody in this thread is correct!!! "You guys know me" --- Kobe Bryant 2003. You guys know me, I'll address false statements, but I find nothing but the truth in ALL the posts (althought only 4) to be absolutely correct.

Subs can't attack subs...except in some freaky old rare cases versus the A.I. !!! I don't have the details & I don't care, but it's true. The A.I. subs will attack other subs; I saw this months ago like Sir Jersey. Jersey, I've got you covered on this issue all the way from Boise.

"I'm beginning to like you Mr. Bond" ---chick from Goldfinger.

[ August 26, 2003, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]