Strategic Command: ET, Why get it?

Stormseeker

I came across a review for this game on Gamespy, and it was the first I had even seen of it. On the surface, it looks like a Panzer General/ PGII clone, only with less detailed graphics.

I still play Panzer General II regularly, but this one caught my attention. I've never heard of Battlefront before and I think it's great that there are some companies making these types of games still.

My question is, what advantages does SC:ET have over PGII? Is it a more detailed game in reference to unit statistics and combat resolve? Are the campaigns more detailed and contain more missions than PGII? Is there a detailed glossary describing the various military weapons used in the game?

Those are some questions I have, but probably not all, but you can see where I'm going. I'm definetely interested, but I need some people to 'sell me' on the game I guess, because I don't want to spend money on a game that isn't PGII only because the name is different.

Also, from what I understand, games made by Battlefront are only available thru online purchase, is that correct? Or can I buy them at Electronics Boutique or some other retail store?

It's different than PG2 in that SC is what is called a "grand strategy" game. In grand strategy one takes control of the political, economic and strategic direction of an entire nation or in the case of SC, the entire Axis or Allied operation of the European theatre; land, air, sea, commerce raiding, strategic bombing, industrial advances, weapons improvements, force selection, etc.

SC is a simplified and fun abstraction of WW2 in Europe that can have formulaic and historical results or totally deviate from history and have unlikely results such as Axis Jets flying from occupied Canada while axis troops land in New York and grind towards Washington D.C. to force capitulation in mid 1944.

In PG2 one is controlling a corps or the units of maybe one or two army groups with a specific goal. In SC you control the coarse of the war and decide what your goals are and the implementation of the "how" to achieve those goals with ultimate victory being just that,.. ultimate victory!

Download the demo which gives you one year, starting in spring 1940, to see if it's your cup of tea.

I have played the demo as well as having Panzer General II (along with a lot of other turn based games).

Panzer General II (along with many turn based games) completely lacks politics, production, as well as operations outside of a very finite geograpgical locale.

SC is about playing the whole war in Europe, while Panzer General II (and a lot of other turn based designs) only concern themselves with immediate concerns for battles (which can be sizable, but still just battles).

The beauty of SC in my opinion is the simplicity of the counters/maps which are not required to be intensely detailed.

The beauty of games like Panzer General II lies in the detail, which is more managable (because you are not mired in politics and economics and production of all 3 service branches).

Ok, so from what I'm hearing, this game is alot more intricate and detailed as far as game mechanics are concerned, but less graphically(which is ok). I am actually looking for something more complicated than PGII, or A+A, so I may purchase this game soon. I don't really want to download the demo, I'm on dial up and 34mb is a bit time consuming.

Thanks guys for the quick pitch.

Stormseeker, if you played Avalon Hill's Third Reich, ( the board game version not the lame pc version) then that will give you an idea what SC is all about. The scale is similar and such facets as production and obtaining resources come into play as well. The AI puts up a good fight and is getting better with every patch that comes out. As a fan of PG II, you will enjoy SC for what it represents in grand strategy games.

On a side note, I still enjoy PG I moreso than II mainly due to the increased unit density in I.

Stormseeker,

If you thought SSI's PG1 and PG2 were addictive, I promise you'll love SC. Take it from a hardcore PG junkie. It's the unit expereince and being able to upgrade and form your own army that I love. Lately, extreme realism and OOB anal-retention has been the trend, and it's great to see a company not be so uptight about rigid historical data, i.e. you can't have PZ-V's in 1940. The hell I can't!

P.S. OOB anal-retention has its place. I've had Talonsoft's Campaign series on my harddrive for a frightening amount of years. But it's not the only way to design a wargame.