Quick work of Russia

mavraam

Stumbled on to a trick last night.

I managed to break 3 tank groups through the Russian lines and started heading to Moscow. When I arrived, I realized I was too far ahead of my support and it was too heavily defended to even try to take it. It would have been suicide.

So I bypassed Moscow and went straight for the Urals (the place the AI moves its capital when you take Moscow). To my shock, it was completely unguarded! So I took it over with my 3 armor.

A few turns later, when I'd had time to move my HQ's and air support in range, I took Moscow.

Russia immediately surrendered even though I hadn't come close to Stalingrad (the third city in the capital shell game). Apparently, if the city they want to move the capital to is already taken, they surrender instead of going to the next city!

This of course was a HUGE time saver because normally I need 3 consecutive full sieges to take Russia. Probably saves 8-10 turns and many casualties.

This allowed me to take England and then the US by Fall of 43. My quickest so far. +218 victory score.

This does seem a little gamey but it does reflect the Blitzkrieg tradition of bypassing the resistance with your armor and striking deep into enemy territory against softer, less heavily defended positions.