Allied Conquest of Minors ?

Steve C

NOOb question here: I'm playing Allies in 3 PBEM games, one is at the point in the game where you have the "lull" between the fall of France and Barbarossa and aside from harrassing the Axis in small ways, I'm wondering what's the best course of action.

Conquering Irag seems well worth antagonizing the US to get the MPP from the two oil wells and Baghdad. How about pissant countries like Ireland and Portugal ? It's frustrating not to be striking back somehow, but the meager MPP from these latter two countries don't seem to make it worthwhile to risk delaying US readiness even by a turn (-180 MPP). Am I missing something here or is taking these two countries completely counterproductive ? How about Spain, historically a drain on whoever got involved there ?

Go for Iraq, many players feel it is the key to Allied Victory - the oil fields plus the fact you'll have a land conection to an allied capital will yeild great results.

Ireland is nice way to train some air units, but I wait till USA in in the war or go for it right away so you gain the most from it's one city.

Portugal is not a good idea unless you plan on taking Spian and use it as a base of operations

Steve C. and Iron Ranger

It has to be remembered that neither Ireland nor Portugal have ports. In the case of Ireland, like that old roach trap commercial, troops go in, but they don't come out! Portugal is a little better, unless Spain never enters, or is drawn into, the war.

As the Allies, invading Spain later (after America enters) from Portugal isn't a bad idea. If the Germans come across the Pyranees first you'll have troops in Portuagal to counter them and the port at Gibraltar to help them from.

Agreed with Iron Ranger that Iraq is a UK necessity. I think it reduces the US entry by 10% but is more than worth it.

If you use French units in the invasion it's a good to let the UK units move across the oil wells and to avoid having the French conquer Baghdad as the country becomes a French colony with France receiving the MPPs.

After France falls . . . Just conducted a little experiment and did the deed. Iraq turns French Blue. When France surrenders all it's units within the country (no Brits present) vanished while those on neighboring UK hexes survived as usual. It became part of the UK but remained French Blue! smile.gif Whether it reverts to being part of France if Paris is retaken by the Allies I don't know.

[ February 21, 2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Sometimes as Allies I like to take Norway & Sweden. This means that the German fleet in the Baltic will be neutralized, giving free range to the Russian ships when they come in. Plus the income from Sweden is worth it IMO and it's harder for the Germans to take/hold on to Denmark.

What SHOULD Britian be doing during the lull between France and Barbarossa? Until it is perfectly clear that Germany's main effort is focused elsewhere, Britain must prepare to defend against Sealion or risk losing everything. Sit and wait; don't be in a rush to do anything. Maybe push against Libya and do some harassment bombing of German-held ports, but don't risk losing any air and naval units by doing something foolish.

Assuming your North Africa flank is not being blitzed, is it worth going after Iraq prior to US entry? Is 80 MPPs per turn worth the 180 MPPs per turn lost each turn the US entry is delayed? IMHO, it's not. Best to build up a task force in eastern Egypt prepared to attack Iraq as soon as US enters the war. Britain needs Iraq, but not at the expense of delayed US entry.

In all my games, I have not bothered with Ireland or Portugal, except when Spain was involved as either an Axis ally or the target of an Allied invasion. There may be some marginal benefit after the US enters, but there are generally more important things for Britain to be doing to help relieve Axis pressure off the Russians.

Hey Bill,

What're you doing from A&A Club. Maybe I should suspend you for poor usage of British resources! smile.gif <TheCursedSoul>

Britian has two major options. Pull back and let US and Tech advantages play into effect. Attempt with all her might to hold out in The Suez by destroying the Italian fleet in an early ploy. Either way. Iraq is essential whenever the US enters. I find the smart Ally, keeps enough held back to make Sea Lion futile. When Germany starts placing it resources on the Minor Front she hassles supply and does constant landings all over. Britian really is a go between for Russia and the US...

Some good advice here to be sure. Thanks, guys.

Originally posted by Bill Macon:

Sit and wait; don't be in a rush to do anything.....don't risk losing any air and naval units by doing something foolish.

LOL, that is my problem. I get ants in my pants to be doing something, usually turns out to be losing ships in the Med. Like my PBEM with Woodman. He surrounded my corps on Malta witht the whole Italian navy and I knew he was getting ready to bombard. I stealthily moved in ships from East and West and attacked after he started taking down my entrenchment. Sunk an Italian battleship, he congratulated me on my smooth move, he hung another weak one out there as bait. I bit, sunk it, only to get plastered next turn by three Luftwaffe air fleets he operated down there plus he built an Italian air. Brittania does not rule the seas after that mess. :eek: :D

Steve

Perhaps they changed the lyrics to "Hail Italia, Ital-ia rules the waves!" I think we've all done that or something similar. It's like the batter who always swings at the high hard one with every pitcher smirking. Still, every so often he's bound to connect. smile.gif

[ February 21, 2003, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Liam, you're right. I should have added a comment about watching for other opportunities to pick off the Italian fleet or even the German fleet if they poke their nose out too far. The idea is to inflict pain where possible but don't take losses.

An "early ploy" to destroy the Italian fleet can be a gamble. It's easy enough to sucker punch the Italian navy when you're playing the AI, but very risky against a good human Axis player. Lose a few British fleets and it's tough to recover, as Steve has discovered. ;)