Review at Wargamer.com

iolo

almost forgot, this is the kicker to it from their main page:

evidently the reviewer got into the game..

Strategic Command

a PC Game Review by Allan Parent

"Warning: Strategic Command is very addictive. Hours seem to pass like minutes when playing this game. Your loved ones comment on your zombie-like state and how you tend to shout out stuff like 'I've got jets now' or 'Moscow is mine'! I think I even answered the phone with 'I can't talk now, the Nazis are trying to invade Britain'."

Gettysburg Expedition Guide

"Wargamer" reviews are almost always high standard, and this one is very good, too.

I think this review will help sales of SC very much. smile.gif

I want to highlight one point of his criticism, namely that air units defend too strongly against ground attacks. If my memory is not distorted (which I concede may very well be the case), then I think this was handled better in the first demo where air units defended weaker. But then we had some pretty strange discussion where people argued that in case of an attack the air units would "simply fly away", and then - I guess - Hubert gave the air units a higher defense value against ground attacks.(?)

But, of course, the player should relocate his air units ("fly away") *before* an imminent ground attack in that hex occurrs. There's no way that the airfleet would endure (and defend the hex!) if actually being overrun. In this case it would just be too late, and only the player is to blame for not anticipating the situation early enough ...

Straha

[ August 12, 2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Straha ]

From the review...

On several occasions, German air units would attack an Allied ground unit with friendly fighters nearby. The Allied fighters would only scramble and defend against the German planes if a unit of the same nationality was the object of the attack. <snip> In my opinion, Allied aircraft should intercept all attacking enemy aircraft in range regardless of the intended target.
This bugs me too. I don't remember it being discussed before. Did I just miss it?

Guy

With regard to airfleets only defending units of their nationality, did WW2 style CAS actually operate across national lines? Would FACs bring in Hurricanes to help out American ground forces, and vice versa? If I had to guess, I'd say no, given how difficult the U.S. military finds it today for the Navy to provide CAS to the Marines (hence, the Marines still have planes). These kind of cross branch communication problems (which are perpetually refined, and have improved vastly in the course of the war in Afghanistan) ended up getting some Brits killed by an American Apache during CAS in the Gulf War.

Maybe ground units had the ability to call on air support from other nations in World War 2, but I would find it suprising, and likely very limited.

I do not look at this as a limitation, however. Instead, I use it to my advantage in the game. Often times air fleets used for CAP end up being weakened too much to risk for interdiction strikes the next round. I prefer to mix my airfleets as the Allies and keep my ground force one nationality (in a given location). This always leaves me with a reserve of airpower to hammer a particular unit or section of the line while being able to reinforce the CAP airfleets.

Gunslinger