Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

NEW flaw found, Tanks sometimes gain soft defense bonus!

zappsweden

A common known knowledge is that Infantry can gain tank defense bonuses by researching anti-tank weapons.

Since i don't know what Hubert had in mind i ask now, Should Tanks be able to gain soft defense bonuses as well?

The question is important (and i didn't find it written in the manual) because i found an inconsistancy in the game, namely:

1) When you start a scenario, the Heavy Tank tech level gives soft defense bonus FOR TANKS i.e if i use the 1939 scenario, Russian and French Tanks will have soft defense=4+1=5 since they start with heavy tanks level 1. Other countries (that have level 0) will have soft defense=4 for tanks for the whole game.

2) The soft defense doesn't change when heavy tank research increases throughout the game, it has the odd bonus that the scenario starts with.

3) Start the later scenarios (1942, 1943 and 1944) and you will see that tanks have ALOT defense bonus against infantry, just check the values at the "purchase" screen and try some "infantry attacks a heavy tank".

4) If soft defense (for tanks) was meant to be increasing throughout the game it will mean that the game strives towards "tanks kill tanks" and "infantry kills infantry" since the bonuses will be 5 on tech level 5. These numbers are very big in my opinion. Maybe a half point per tech level could be better (if this is the meaning of the game). The same goes for the anti-tank weapons bonus, they are also too big.

[ November 28, 2002, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]