Is there any advantage to attacking USSR early?

Iron Ranger

Thinking that Hubert might have left a hidden bonus to attacking USSR early (Siberian Transfer only after a certian date, Dec 1941). I play tested an AI game and followed historcal events as best I could using the v1.07 patch.

I followed the historical path of: Poland, Denmark, Norway (due to a UK landing fighting continued till the winter or 1940), LC, and France falling in late summer of 1940.

The Itialians captured Athens with German help and spent the early 1/2 of 1941 pounding on egypt. The Germans waged an air war on england from France and Norway while the ground units preped for USSR and the June 22 date. Yougoslovia couped in mid June and was left for the minor allies so as to not disrupt my attack on the Red Bear.

I made it to the gates of Moscow in early augest and almost surounded the city the next turn. Then Bang - the siberian army transfered and I was thrown back with heavy damage to many units (HQs were too slow). USA entered on Nov 2 (one month early as normal)and I stoped play.

What if any is that advantage to attacking russia early? Can anyone give me one? I thought that the lack of a Siberian Transfer until TWO historical condisions were meet might be it. ONE: the disastorus military situation in the moscow front. TWO: The red spy network informing Stalin that the Japs were attacking the USA and moving into Southeast Asia, confermed by the attack on Pearl Harbor and USA entering the war.

I have not seen any advantage to attacking Russia early. They always start with the same units, the same amount of MPPs in their production pool and the same 3 research chits.

In fact, attacking Russia early acelerates USA readiness and limits the opportunity to build up your red army crushing war machine. Each turn you can delay attacking them allows you to field one or more army units on Russian front.

Personally, I would like to see Russian strength (MPP pool, Army, and research chits) grow in number over time so that if the Germans attacked early in the war would be facing a weaker Russia.

USSR setup is variable over time. Go to the earlier scenarios and declare war to see what happens:

1939 - 0 MPPs, 5 Armies (on the border), 1 Air Fleet, no eastern Poland or Baltic States

1940 - 180 MPPs, 7 Armies, 1 Tank Group, 2 Air Fleets, no Baltic States

1941 - 1200 MPPs, 9 Armies, 2 Tank Groups, 3 Air Fleets

Declare war early and you do face a smaller opponent, but the Axis is also smaller so it's relative. And those USSR and USA MPPs enter sooner which will have an impact over time.

Now can Germany blitz France and then be able to blitz the Baltic States before USSR annexes them in July 1940? Grab some plunder, get a nice jump-off position, and then attack the USSR before they declare war on you? There's a nail-biting strategy for you. ;)