Name ur Gamey tactics...

RicKhan

I'm curious to find out what is considered a "GAMEY" tactic, by u the people who play this game.

What are they to you, the Gamer? Or not, as the case may be. :confused:

BY not using Gamey tactics do u believe the

"fun element is increased/decreased or is the "historic Flavor" increased/decreased? :rolleyes:

Do you feel Honor bound to force others into ur belief or are u willing to cut some slack and just play the game as is, if opponent does not agree with you? :mad: :D

Have u stopped playing the Computer cuz it uses Gamey tactics? :(

Feel free to answer any and all of the above.

Try not getting into pissing contests cuz someone considers your thoughts alien. :eek:

Look forward to replies. smile.gif

Courage is fear singing a hymn arranged for four voices.

Fear passes. But leaves a record of its stay.

You want to be brave. You also want to be.

But your greatest danger is from your fellow human beings.

Favorite "Gamey Tactic": Invading Portugal/Spain with the US. smile.gif

Attitude towards "Gamey Tactics": Live and let live. Gamey tactics can sometimes be ahistorical, but they can also be a very interesting intellectual exercise. If they are egregiously ahistorical, then they can (hopefully) be corrected for. In the meantime, its fun to try to counter them. Gamey tactics, by their very nature, take a certain amount of cleverness to come up with. I'm all for rewarding cleverness. It *is* just a game.

I try to play the game in an historically plausible (not necessarily accurate) way when playing against a human opponent. Although against the computer I have experimented with some gamey tactics - I like to disband the French air and navy assets and also invade Norway, Sweden and Finland with the Brits (but maybe thats not really very gamey).

If I play a game with someone and it was fun I'll more than likely play with them again regardless of whether I think their tactics were gamey or not.

Some people who are complaining that the game has lost its fun also seem to be using gamey tactics excessively.

Finland. USSR can launch transports from Riga and Leningrad on turn 1 to invade Finland. Move air units to Leningrad and build a HQ. Finland usually declares war at the end of the 2nd German turn, like clockwork, which provides the opportunity to knock out Helsinki in one shot. Even if the Russians don't do this, the hapless Finns get chewed up at the border and usually end up running for home. This is particularly ahistoric and a Russian blitz on turn 2 is very gamey. Considering Russia and Finland had already fought a war, the Finns should at least start entrenched and maybe with some experience. This would help.

Now the German navy could preposition itself to stop this, but without Finland activated it goes up there blind and vulnerable. Another option is to allow Finland to immediately activate if the Russian garrisons in Riga and Leningrad move, similar to the rule change in the Med to counter the surprise invasion of Italy strategy. Anyway, it's too easy to knock out Finland early if the equally gamey surprise invasion of Finland strategy is used.

And then there's the wholesale redeployment of the French army to Britain strategy which is another pet peeve. See other topic on this.

So Finland and France are at the top of my list on this. I won't even talk about invasions of US and Canada. ;)

My favs are to declare war on Countries that you "know" Germany will invade. You can do this with the Low Countries and Denmark, this robs the early Axis player of 500-700mpps which helps out a lot when defending France.

You can usually even capture the Low Countries and get the plunder for yourself smile.gif The US will usually go to -20% but it doesn't effect Russia which is much more important. A well defended France + Low

Also, once the US joins you can invade Portugal, Spain and Ireland, although you can never get the invading army OUT of Ireland, bug Hubert?. If Germany hasn't taken them out, you can also go for Norway & Sweden this is not exactly Gamey because the UK actually moved an army into Norway anyway...

Attacking the Malta Port instedad of Malta:

Attacking the Air fleet on malta can be very tough because of its fortress defence bonus.

Attacking the Malta Port instead will force the Malta air fleet to intercept (without defence bonus) and often taking lots of casualties. This will soon or later force the British to give up the island due to the great cost of reinforcing it.

[ September 28, 2002, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

I like/dislike these Gamey Tactics you have all taken time to write down.

Let me add one of mine.

Loading the Royal Marines on to transports before Italy is active and park it off the coast of Sicily.

If Italy declares war at the end of an Axis turn, the Marines then unload on the island and take the undefended Factory and port.

Used with a Combined French/English Fleet attacking/ambushing Italian Navy grouped near Taranto, it can mean bad news for the Axis in the med.

I like/dislike these Gamey Tactics you have all taken time to write down.

Let me add one of mine.

Loading the Royal Marines on to transports before Italy is active and park it off the coast of Sicily.

If Italy declares war at the end of an Axis turn, the Marines then unload on the island and take the undefended Factory and port.

Used with a Combined French/English Fleet attacking/ambushing Italian Navy grouped near Taranto, it can mean bad news for the Axis in the med.

Not gamey within the game parameters, but nevertheless effective... I have an opponent that provides colorful commentary and ahistorical takes on our game. i feel my pulse quicken in anticipation of unzipping the file and loading 'er up so I can see what dastardly deads he has performed on my gallant forces.

As far as a gamey move within the parameters. the French naval forces screened by the Royal navy lying in ambush of Benito's navy. italy declares war, and its a new take on "Taranto".