AAR Terif vs Zappsweden (game 2 of 2)

zappsweden

No, Vichy doesnt prevent minors from joining, maybe delays it, but against the AI i couldnt realize a difference if Vichy is attacked or not.

I only wait for minors to join when attacking Spain and Turkey. If you attack Spain first your minors dont join any more.

December 8, 1940:

Hungary and Romania joined Axis. Allied air retreat after the gross of german air arrived in France and one carrier sunk. Sweden surrendered some turns ago (in the second turn after attack). Alexandria and Suez have been occupied.

[ January 11, 2003, 06:08 AM: Message edited by: Terif ]

Well, the game so far has seen a quick fall of France but a strong UK air force instead. I have been battling to take control of the English channel early on but my overoptimistic attacks left my carriers in positions where Axis could mass attack them, so we will see if my tactic pays off.

This game between Zapp and Terif is an excellent example of the Axis imbalance, and also why Russ's idea of wildcards would be good. Granted, Zapp may have made some Allied mistakes, but all-in-all, I think they will only hasten the outcome by a turn or two. Result: Resounding Allied defeat.

Properly scripted, Terif will now be unbeatable, and can join the ranks of Rambo. He knows who to attack and when. The Axis will build a huge mpp base, get up to about 800 mpps per turn, and fully fund his research. The Allies can only hang on at first, but the end will inevitable.

It sounds like Terif is an excellent player, but figuring out the loopholes in the game and winning everytime doesn't make you better than everyone else, it just means you discovered the right formula, and are good at staying to the script. I also know the Axis script, but find it boring, which is why I almost always play the Allies now. I want challenge, not another meaningless X on my scorecard.

I'm already leaning toward not playing the standard 1939 scenario, and playing mods instead. Russ and I have one of Bill's mod games going, and are pondering changes to it, to make it more playable. I'm also playing the same scenario with 82ndReady. In both instances I find the mod much more interesting, simply because...it's different! Who wants the same meals everyday! Boring!

Originally posted by Jollyguy:

This game between Zapp and Terif is an excellent example of the Axis imbalance, and also why Russ's idea of wildcards would be good. Granted, Zapp may have made some Allied mistakes, but all-in-all, I think they will only hasten the outcome by a turn or two. Result: Resounding Allied defeat.

Properly scripted, Terif will now be unbeatable, and can join the ranks of Rambo. He knows who to attack and when. The Axis will build a huge mpp base, get up to about 800 mpps per turn, and fully fund his research. The Allies can only hang on at first, but the end will inevitable.

It sounds like Terif is an excellent player, but figuring out the loopholes in the game and winning everytime doesn't make you better than everyone else, it just means you discovered the right formula, and are good at staying to the script. I also know the Axis script, but find it boring, which is why I almost always play the Allies now. I want challenge, not another meaningless X on my scorecard.

I'm already leaning toward not playing the standard 1939 scenario, and playing mods instead. Russ and I have one of Bill's mod games going, and are pondering changes to it, to make it more playable. I'm also playing the same scenario with 82ndReady. In both instances I find the mod much more interesting, simply because...it's different! Who wants the same meals everyday! Boring!

I am currently playing a USA+UK+Russia handicap game versus Heuristic. Try it if you want to even out the Axis advantage!

In my game vs Heuristic, the bid landed on 130 MPP (my bid). Since he accepted the bid, he was Allies and with a starting bonus of 130 MPP for USA,UK and Russia EACH.

About Terif and Rambo, I would like to say that I have played them both and that Terif is way better than Rambo. Against Rambo it was even games but against Terif I am struggling very hard to catch up with his winning tactics.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I just wanted to let you two guys know:

How Great Your Game report format is.

I hope this can be adopted by all who play, as I find it fascinating to read. Kinda like the scrolling ticker of CNN:

June 22 1941-This just in Germany attacks Russia, etc, etc, etc.

Dadgum it you two this is EXCELLENT-Keep it up

[ January 11, 2003, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Jim Boggs ]

November 16, 1941:

Axis declared war to Greece, Iraq and Russia. Greece and Iraq are taken in ont turn. 9 russian armies are destroyed or surrounded, both tanks damaged...

I think its easy to win with axis if you know the right tactics, but as allies it is a challenge. So i like to play the allies more.