Comrade Trapp's 1939 Fall Weiss Campaign

Comrade Trapp

I tried to make the campaign as historical as possible while maintaining it's playability.

Major changes include:

Poland

Polish forces redeployed, some are renamed. Historically, the Polish Army committed many of their larger units to defending the Pomeranian Corridor and Central Poland.

The largest of these units was Prusy Group, made up of 7 infantry divisions, 1 cavalry brigade, and 2 tank battalions. This was located just south of Warsaw, to the rear of Lodz Army. However, in this campaign, Prusy Group (army) is located in Warsaw for two reasons:

1. The way the map is designed, Warsaw is directly to the rear of Lodz Army, when historically it was to the north-east.

2. Even if Prusy Army could be deployed the way it historically was (south of Warsaw). When war broke out on September 1st , there were no significant units in Warsaw at the time. If this was done in SC, Germany could capture Warsaw on turn one without engaging a single unit.

To counter this, Prusy Group is moved to Warsaw.

Modlin Corps, located north of Warsaw along the Polish border with East Prussia, is at max entrenchment (2) at start. Historically, Modlin was a fortress equipped with modern bunkers, anti-tank, and anti-aircraft equipment. Despite it’s proximity to the border, it was one of the last positions to fall to the Germans.

On August 31st, the Polish Airforce was dispersed to secret airfields. Therefore, the Polish Airforce is at 1 entrenchment at start.

Contrary to popular belief, the Poland had been secretly mobilizing it’s army and by the end of August 1939, it had reached a strength of 700,000 men. On the 30th August 1939, Marshal Rydz-Smigly put the country on war footing. The Navy was instructed to commence Operation Pekin. The destroyer flotilla left for Great Britain and had time to clear the Danish Straits before war was declared. General Mobilization had to be delayed in order to meet agreements with Britain and France not to inflame the diplomatically tense situation.

Germany

* VII Corps is moved to a position south-east of Cologne and reduced to strength 6.

* A second XIX Pz Tank Group is created and placed in Konigsberg. Historically, XIX Pz Corps was split into two groups, one operated with 4th Army and one operated next to 3rd Army.

For play balance, they are two separate tank groups under the same name.

* Leeb HQ (6), is added and placed in the mine north-east of Cologne.

* Luftflotte II (near the western border), is reduced to strength 7.

* All German ground units near the western border are at 6 strength.

* All German ground units that are positioned away from either border and were not directly involved in the Polish campaign (historically) are at 5 strength.

* German Battleships Bismarck and Tirpitz are created. Bismarck is at strength 5, while Tirpitz is at strength 1. Both are positioned in or near Kiel.

* All other German naval units are at full strength.

* German U-boats in the North Atlantic are redeployed to better positions.

German Technology

Advanced Subs: 2

Gun Laying Radar: 1

Rockets: 1

0 unallotted research points.

CTHistoricalGermanyandPoland.bmp

Germany and Poland

France

* XXI Corps removed.

* 4th and 5th Armies removed.

* 3rd Army moved to mine, reduced to 6 strength.

* 1st and 2nd Armies moved to the north-east and south-east of Paris and reduced to strength 5.

* 4th Armored Tank Group created north-west of Paris at strength 5.

* 1st FAF Air Fleet moved to the south of Paris and reduced to 7.

* Metz Corps, Strasbourg Corps, and Colmar Corps are created and moved to their respective positions along the Maginot Line. They are at 7 strength but at max entrenchment (8).

* Grenoble Corps, Digne Corps, and Toulon Corps are created and moved to their respective positions along the French-Italian border. They are at 5 strength but at max entrenchment (4)

*Gamelin HQ (3) created and placed in Paris.

* Algerian Corps and Syrian Corps are given 1 experience. This is because these units were or contained units of the French Foreign Legion.

In this campaign, the French Navy is made up of 4 battleships:

Richelieu (10)

Dunkerque (10)

Strasbourg (10)

Jean Bart (1)

And 2 cruisers:

Georges Leygues (10)

Montcalm (10)

The Jean Bart is at strength 1 because France fell before it was completed. Historically, it wasn’t completed until 1955.

French Technology

Heavy Tanks: 1

CTHistoricalFrance.bmp

France

Great Britain

* XXX Corps moved to Edinburgh and reduced to 5 strength.

* British Expeditionary Force (Army) created in Manchester at 5 strength.

* British air fleet renamed to “Fighter Cmd. 11” Air Fleet and moved to London, reduced to 7 strength.

* Fighter Cmd. 10 Air Fleet created at grid (18,11) (south-west England) at 4 strength.

* British bombers renamed “RAF Bomber Cmd.” Strategic Bombers and moved to grid (19,10) (north-east of Fighter Cmd. 10) and reduced to 5 strength.

* Cruiser Hood removed and replaced with Battleship Hood.

* Carrier Glorious in Scapa Flow switches with Carrier Ark Royal in Egypt.

Ark Royal was historically assigned to the Home Fleet (stationed at Scapa Flow) in 1939.

* Battleship Valiant moved to Egypt from Gibraltar.

* Battleship King George V created in Gibraltar.

* Wavell HQ (7) created in Alexandria.

* 8th Army created west of Alexandria at 6 strength.

* 1st Armored Tank Group created east of Alexandria at 5 strength.

* Gibraltar Corps at max entrenchment (8) at start.

* RAF Malta at max entrenchment (8) at start.

* Iraq made Allied, as it was historically.

* American cities New York and Portsmouth made British to represent “Lend-Lease Act”. The will go back to American control automatically upon US war entry.

Note: Under no circumstance is either side allowed to put units in those cities before US entry.

British Technology

Anti-Aircraft Radar: 1

Heavy Bombers: 1

Sonar: 1

CTHistoricalGreatBritain.bmp

Great Britain

CTHistoricalEgyptSyriaIraq.bmp

Egypt, Syria, and Iraq

American Technology

Anti-Aircraft Radar: 1

Heavy Bombers: 1

Sonar: 1

Advanced Subs: 1

Industrial Technology: 3

2 unallotted research points.

Soviet Technology

Heavy Tanks: 1

Industrial Technology: 3

3 unallotted research points.

Italian Technology

None

Feel free to make suggestions, it can only help.

JerseyJohn and I will be making an AAR based on this campaign here shortly over at the Wargames and History forum. Feel free to stop and take a look at it. ;)

If you want to take a look at the campaign, just leave a message here and I'll email it to you.

Comrade Trapp

[ January 01, 2005, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Comrade Trapp ]

We are follwing the same path it seems smile.gif

So some comments, as I tested some of this throught the versions of 3H scenario:

POLAND:

I chosed a different game interpretation of the historical facts, the game testing of this is the most import part and the style/game time you want german to have in this campain must be clear...

FRANCE:

France is the hardest part to simulate and I have not found a good simulation setting so far but I can tell some things that didnt work well in my tests:

- French starting with a Tank unit. I tried it and its lead to game style far from historical...

- Giving French unfinished ships. I finaly removed them as players will never finish them but use them as they are for spotting or just to scrap for MPP.

- Also an increase in French fleet size is better with an increase of naval threat. If not the French navy will be scrapped immediatly for lot of MMP. As you already gave France lot of units and a HQ, it migth make France very hard to get...

-Deployement of French fleet was mainly in the med sea

US

Thats an excellent idea Comrade Trapp, I didnt know it was possible without having Us joining... I will study and test this and may take your idea for 3H mod smile.gif

Irak

Being historicaly part of this Allies military forces and ressources is very arguable. Despite of ressource, it is the supply/operate link to Russia, do you want it to be Allied rigth away withour any cost ? It will impact strategies and won't be very histrorical...

Good to see people making mod, so we have differents games and we will have to get more adaptative to the different scenario instead of just optimizing the same set up again and again smile.gif

Desaix

Comrade, Desaix and SeaMonkey

The three of you are all working on excellent campaigns and, as Desaix said, with similar goals in mind.

Looking forward to playing them in PBEM and writing them up as AARs -- it will be a slow go for me, due to time considerations at the moment, but I'm very interested in all three projects. smile.gif

Originally posted by SeaMonkey:

CT, send me the campaign.....bradtap@aol.com. Have you playtested for balance at all? Are there certain aspects of the campaign you are concerned about...imbalance issues?

Email on the way.

No, haven't playtested it yet. Really, the only thing I'm concerned about is France. Everything else I think will fall into place.

Desaix

Sorry for not replying sooner.

POLAND:

I chosed a different game interpretation of the historical facts, the game testing of this is the most import part and the style/game time you want german to have in this campain must be clear...

I don't think there will be any major changes in the way the Polish Campaign is played. Army Group South (Rundsted) should have no trouble making it's thrust into Central Poland like it did historically, since Southern Poland is guarded with only one corps.

I think the only main difference in the Polish setup will be that Germany can’t redeploy half it’s forces to the Western Front on turn 1. In the end, Poland should fall on time.

FRANCE:

France is the hardest part to simulate and I have not found a good simulation setting so far but I can tell some things that didnt work well in my tests:

- French starting with a Tank unit. I tried it and its lead to game style far from historical...

I'm not really concerned if France is beaten the way it was historically. I'm only worried about it falling within a reasonable amount of time.

Historically, France had the potential of inflicting substantial casualties to Germany, its just that French generals didn't take advantage of opportunities when they presented themselves.

- Giving French unfinished ships. I finaly removed them as players will never finish them but use them as they are for spotting or just to scrap for MPP.

- Also an increase in French fleet size is better with an increase of naval threat. If not the French navy will be scrapped immediatly for lot of MMP. As you already gave France lot of units and a HQ, it migth make France very hard to get...

I think with any campaign, you’ll always have somebody who disbands units, entire navies in particular.

All I can say is that this campaign is meant to be played as realistic (realistic doesn’t have to be historical) as possible. Moves like disbanding entire fleets for their MPPs will drastically change the course of the campaign to the point if ruining it.

I don’t think any historical campaign can be played like that and remain realistic at the same time.

Irak

Being historicaly part of this Allies military forces and ressources is very arguable. Despite of ressource, it is the supply/operate link to Russia, do you want it to be Allied rigth away withour any cost ? It will impact strategies and won't be very histrorical...

Historically, Great Britain was not as weak in the area of resources as it is in SC. Iraq is a way to help make up for that. The MPP boost is not enough to completely change the course of the game, but enough to give the British a fighting chance in regions other than the British Isles, like Egypt.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, an Allied Iraq also increases Allied supply in North Africa, something that they desperately need.

CT, I have to agree with Desaix, preliminarily of course, with the disbanding of the French naval units. I believe players should not be allowed to disband naval units as it didn't really happen in history.

As far as the connection between Iraq and USSR, you can color the hexes in between gray, thus making it necessary for Allied units to at least deploy to the region, simulating the necessary link for supply upgrade.

One other comment, since there will again be a "quiet time" for the Axis build up to Barbarossa, which I believe is the greatest contribution to Axis dominance(imbalance), why not increase USSR readiness to around 50%.

• 2 weeks later...

Comrade and myself will begin playing the game today with an AAR at the new website listed in my signature. Anyone who wishes to take a look is welcome to stop by and read it in the SC AAR section.

We've made one change, dropping the USSR readiness to 0%. I think even 30% is way too high as Russia was in no way prepared for an aggressive war. At 0% I've found the USSR normally hits the 90s by mid-1942, which seems fairly reasonable.

Comrade has the Allies and I've got the Axis, I've never claimed to be a great player or even a particularly good one, but the last time Comrade and myself wrote an AAR it was pretty enjoyable.

Looking forward to the game.

I looked in details to the possibility to give Uk some ressources in US to reflect Lend and Lease act... So far, I won't use this option for my mod as it takes some very usefull ressouces from US when they join... Also giving ports is not good as it gives some more supply sources to the British ships for Atlantic war...

Desaix

Originally posted by Desaix:

I looked in details to the possibility to give Uk some ressources in US to reflect Lend and Lease act... So far, I won't use this option for my mod as it takes some very usefull ressouces from US when they join... Also giving ports is not good as it gives some more supply sources to the British ships for Atlantic war...

Desaix

But the thing is, the resources automatically return to American control upon US entry.

Also, in my campaign, I didn't give the British control of any extra ports, only two American cities.