Forget SC2 how about SC Modern?

Ok this will strike some as odd I guess.

But SC is just software correct?

And as such it is more or less just using a software design to simulate warfare am I still correct?

Is there any chance, is it even possible, that the fundemental design of SC can be used to game out anything post WW2?

How about Korea, or Perhaps Modern Europe circa 1980. Or is it possible that WW2 was the last truely grand strategy setting worth gaming out.

All I am really doing her is fishing for a grand strategy game that can deliver a reasonable grand strategy game, without losing what makes the current SC appealing ie it isn't rocket science.

I do not what a hopelessly detailed game with the SC label dumped on the box though.

If I wanted that, I would ask the jerks that made that crummy HoI game to do a modern version.

As any potential conflict would be a "what if", do you have any suggestions on what those conflicts could be?

There is always the old standby ... NATO vs WARSAW. Then the "current" conflict that is getting alot of ink these days... China vs USA. Not sure if it would be much of a match, though the Chinese military does believe using "low tech" options they could win a war with the US.

A more "even" match would be a hypothetical USA vs European Union.

Korean conflict is too small to be represented at the SC scale. Works more at an operational level.

Yeah, Good one ! I liked People's General. Then there's always The Operational Art of War. As I recall, there were some good Cold War scenarios.

US vs. China ? That's a real can of worms, Shaka. Leaving nukes out of it for the sake of arguement, US naval / air supremacy seem like a gimme, but what kind of inventories do we carry for smart weapons ? The Chinese army is huge, and being a Communist state, I don't think they'd sweat huge losses to wear us down. The last big test of quantity vs. quality was the Russian front and we all know how that turned out. Not to say the Chinese could compete with us globally, but things would get mighty unpleasant for Taiwan, S.Korea and Japan (and Russia, India ?).

Back on topic, interesting thought, Les the Sarge. I think SC is a good enough platform that a modern era version could have a lot of merit down the road, once WW2 has been fully developed.

[ February 05, 2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Steve C ]

Hmmm. WWI might be excellent from the political standpoint,with some very interesting "what ifs" if you started out at peace anytime after 1900. And I'm a huge fan of WWI naval action. If anybody knows any good PC games on the latter topic, please clue me in.

The Western Front stalemate would make for a boring affair if it happened to reproduce itself in the game, plus your technologies might or might not add to the game ("Dang, four chits on super zeppelins and nothing's happening yet !") The infant tanks and planes of the age would detract away from the rock / paper / scissors interaction of infantry / armor / air that we enjoy in SC.

I kind of like your original idea, taking SC modern. All the basic building blocks are there already. But first, let's have SC2 - the definitive WW2 strategy game.

[ February 05, 2003, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Steve C ]

I think Hubert should produce SC:WWI sooner than later. I don't think there are alot of WWI games out there... and whatever cash this generates would not hurt.

I'm so so towards Napoleonic. At first I thought no way, scale wouldn't work out for SC. But on second thought, Sarge may have something. Russia was invaded, Spain is there, so is Egypt... but now I am back to no way, Napoleonic is at best a Grand Tactical or Operational level... so we would need a map scale change. Forget it... I just don't know!

My real passion is for Ancient/Medieval. Roman Empire... barbarians "pooping up" (like partisans) and trying to invade the Empire. Instead of five nations, we would have five or more province governors. It would have to emphasize the diplomacy/economic aspects (political infighting), since the strategical combat by itself just wouldn't be enough.

Heck... why not just get Hubert to make a Unit Editor and some sort of AI "script" interface, so we could do all this stuff ourselfs!

I for one would like to see a WWI SC come out. I think it would be very workable. I wouldn't mind seeing a civil war varient come out either. Of course this would take more work, but an easy to use and fun Civil war game is hard to find. I have both the seria titles but would quickly buy a SC type one.

WW1 stalemated for a number of reasons. All of which may or may not end up recurring in a game that will not have to follow history any more than the current SC has to follow WW2.

I am not overly worried about it, any more than I am overly worried about oddities occuring in SC as it currently exists.

Napoleonic would be no different. Sure the nations would allow it to be grand strategy, and sure the military weaponry would differ.

But remember Calvary were employed pretty much the same as mechanised formations.

The time scales might alter, but the battlefield won't really look to drastically different. Might take you a bit longer to get there from here is all.

Modern will be the big challenge. Nukes, rogue nations, meddling UN politics. Information technology, real time reporting, peace protestors. Can't leave any of that out eh.