Suggestions and Future Wish List -Weekly Turns & Weather Zones

J Wagner

I think Battlefront needs to add a Future Suggestions and Wish List Forum for SC, unless there are no future plans for an SCII. If however, SC is only the first, and an SCII will be developed, it is never too early to make suggestions. There are many suggestions scattered all about here i.e "Advanced SC" but others are lost in a myriad of threads. With this in mind, I will add a suggestion here based on my playing the full game. The idea is not new, I'm simply emphasizing it

Weekly Turns and Weather Zones

I feel the monthly and bi weekly turns would be unnecessary if there were weather zones charted on the map.

Weather Zone 1 Russia

Weather Zone 2 Northern Europe

Weather Zone 3 Central Europe

Weather Zone 4 Western Europe

Weather Zone 5 UK and Ireland

Weather Zone 6 Southern Europe

Weather Zone 7 North Africa

Weather Zone 8 US and Canada

These zones could even be divided further for example, 2 or 3 zones in Russia.

The weather could potentially change in each zone every week based on three factors:

1 the weather from the previous week

2 the weather zone

3 the season

The weather available could be:

Clear

Rain

Snow

Fog

Certain weather of course could not occur in a particular zone, snow in Zone 7 for example, or more frequently such as Fog in Zone 4.

Weather effects would include:

Movement Restrictions

Operation Movement Restrictions

Combat effectiveness

Supply line reductions

Air attack limitations

Strategic Bombing limitations

You could click onto a weather map to see the current weather in each zone and as mentioned by others, the hex colors could change.

Anyway, I feel this is one aspect of the game which could be improved and would not compromise the complexity level. I have no problem playing a game that has 52 turns per year, afterall that's what the save feature is for. I don't think it's a strong selling point to say "You can complete the game in one sitting" Most gamers have no worry about that.

Ive said such things myself,I think ive got it sorted out with Hubert though.I know he's enjoying his life at the moment and if he wants to live longer he knows he aint got a choice in the matter so dont worry i think the deals done. smile.gif

I agree with the seasonal effects. Weekly turns I don't. The minute you make the turns clearly defined you remove a game abstraction which covers a lot of blemishes. Then we'll be haggling forever about what units at this scale *really* do in a week, etc. I kinda prefer the WiF approach with monthly turns for normalizing the economics, but with variable impulses. It would be very similar to what we have now, with weekly turns in good weather and monthly turns in bad weather, give or take. But it would deal with the variable economy issue and work in seasonal effects. IMHO, that's a bit more doable than significantly changing the game scale.

Bill, I would agree with you regarding the game scale if the current game did not already include weekly turns. I think someone needs to explain to me the reason monthly turns occur during winter months. Is it only because of the weather? If thats the case, whats the weather effects in North Africa during the winter? I know there have been debates around here that too many changes will make the game too difficult. I agree with this premise, but I don't think changing the game to weekly turns and adding weather effects will change the scale or turn off a potential buyer....just a thought for the future, believe me, I'm enjoying this game just as it is... smile.gif

Funnily enough the original design decision was to either go with monthly turns with variable impulses or with the current setup. I guess I can see how the current setup seems to make the economics a bit strange (and how that would be logically better with variable turn impulses), but I kind of always looked at it as just your income for each turn and not specifically normalized out against the length of the turn, which I think I can get away with for the type of game it is. ;)

All around though, great ideas guys and something to think about for the future for sure!

Hubert

I do like the weather idea, J Wagner. I'm enjoying the game "as is" but the chance of mud in Oct/Nov could really put the pressure on the Axis when pressing for Moscow. It could also make a mess of Allied invasion plans. A bit more interesting than the varied time taken by different seasons now modelled. The idea for weather also sounds uncomplicated enough to implement in the programming side of things. But I'm not a computer programmer, so what do I know?