Poland in '39

TrionDelta

why when u take warsaw on turn one doesnt poland surrender? in fact ive found they dont surender till there armies are destryoed... this cause me some dismay as it messess with my time table instead of 1 week i spend 2-3 weeks time i could use to transver units towards france and hit them in late '39

Probably the same reason France doesn't always surrender, or Greece - you haven't killed enough units yet.

spend a bit more time wiping out their armed forces.

You don't have to wipe them out, but the chances of surrender increase with the number of casualties you inflict.

For example I once took Greece by destroying the Garrison of Athens and nothing else - and they didn't surrender (yes I occupied teh city!!). Next turn I wiped out one of their armies and they surrendered.

Similarly with France - I've occasionally taken Paris but not killed enough units and they've fought on for a turn or 2.

I haven't gotten the game yet, but I'd guess that you ant to destroy about 1/3rd of the Polish army units and capture Warsaw to get an instant surrender.

If in doubt kill another one!!

[ August 01, 2002, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Keep in mind that historically, Poland did hold out for close to a month. They would probably have performed a bit better than that had they set up their defences further back into the country rather than initially try to defend their entire border. So knocking them off in only one turn should be more difficult than you may at first believe.

[ August 02, 2002, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: J Wagner ]

I am very glad that you cant conquer a country simply by capturing the capital. You should be required to destroy their will to resist and this is modelled by the destruction of their armed forces. It appears that Germany may not have an effortless romp in the first few years and that the timeline for conquest will be quite tight. God let the mailman ge generous on this day.

I agree entirely with Sol Invictus on this one.

I am glad that simply taking a capital is not enough and that if the country still had an army with a sizable bit of strength and coordination there wouldn't be an instant surrender.

Can't wait and keeping fingers crossed that Alexandria, Virginia Post-Master's are on top of their duties today! smile.gif

I almost tried to skip out of work... dang, conscience got in my way! Isn't there a pill I can take to get rid of that sort of personal character flaw? ;)

Woot to all those with their little grubby mits on the full SC game! smile.gif --An Old Man

[ August 02, 2002, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: An Old Man ]