How do I implment the strategies?

archi

Is there anyway I can get up to date on the effective strategies and read some in depth analysis? I'm pretty new to this so I need more advice on how to implement strategies. I don't seem to be getting the knack in my AI games

Practice practice practice.

Oh did I mention practice smile.gif

Then you politely ask a forum regular if he will play you in PBEM mode, and whenever you do something dumb and inefficient, you don't mind if he points it out even if it makes you look dumb.

Works for me at least smile.gif

The SC Strategy Guide is a good read, and my games wouldn't suck so much if I got off my lazy butt and read it a bit more carefully.

What is funny is I am a quoted contributor hehe Talk about ironic eh.

http://www.ww2n.com/schq/

But the game has a few "peculiarities" and they take time to uncover normally.

Again nothing like practice.

Things like the axis subs are toast no matter what you try, and landing in Ireland might seem cool and easy, but don't land more than one expendable unit there, because there is no way off the island for some reason.

And bigest piece of advice, DO NOT play just the 39 campaign, because there is more to SC than just assuming you must start from the beginning each time.

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:

Things like the axis subs are toast no matter what you try, and landing in Ireland might seem cool and easy, but don't land more than one expendable unit there, because there is no way off the island for some reason.

Les here find this out the extremely hard way :rolleyes:

I'll echo what Les said. Check out the Strategy Guide. :D

There's a lot of good info in there to get newbies up to speed. It's not a how-to manual, though. You need to practice, against both the AI on various settings and against humans. Did somebody say practice? There are still a lot of tricks out there not covered in the guide, so be prepared for a few surprises. ;)

Hi all, I've read through the strategy guide a few times but I find that it is much too general to me.

The suggestions sound good but since there is absolutely nothing in the way of implementing them it leaves you to figure out quite a bit of things by trial and error. Also I find myself constantly having to check the purchase screen to figure out unit stats. smile.gif So I'm basically trying to figure out how to IMPLMEMENT the strategies in the strategy guide.

How should England send corps over to France? By transport? how many transports should I use? What is the right proportion of research spending to production spending? What are the ideal orders to attack with? What are the best formations? That kind of thing.

I will take a stab at this eh.

Ok first things first, France usually falls unless you are useless like me smile.gif

Sending the British and their air usually means they get clobbered when the French die smile.gif

Transports are what your troops become when you purchase the option to ship them. There are no special boat units, your unit is the boat unit.

Later on you will be trying to make an invasion. Forget it unless you figure you can take and keep a port city in the process.

That means a navy to beat up the defender and an air unit or two is likely needed as well.

Don't go if you have less than 3 armies and an HQ going, or they will die sooner than you think.

Research is a die roll thing, you pay 250 to get a single chit, and odds are you wasted it, because next turn nothing might happen and again and again. No garantees with research.

The favourite is in Jet air craft, everything else is less thrilling.

On production, if you need to cover two places, you might want two corps instead of one army.

But an army has a better whack.

An army can do a lot of damage, but tanks move fast. If you are not going anywhere in a hurry, pick an army. Tanks are best used when you need speed.

If you don't have air, you will miss it, Expect to buy some air, if you don't you will get beat up.

Navies suck, end of comment.

Bombers are worse than navies, any questions.

When repairing damaged units, remember a unit gets dumber the faster it takes in replacements. A unit repaired from 1 up to full is likely green as a new unit.

Guard your experience, experience does damaged to the enemy. Stupidity hurts you.

Order of attack, hard to say. Most like the pound em with planes, trash em with armies, scoop the loot with armour it seems. Corps work well for loot grabbing too as they move fast too. The guy you want to hold the terrain of course has to be the one that takes it eh.

One tip you didn't mention. Beat up small countries so your units get experience without putting out to much risk to themselves.

England for instance attacks Ireland mostly so it's navy gets experience pounding that poor schmuck that will be defending it.

I'll try to be short -

General guideline to learning SC

1) Play the AI

2) Read the Stratgy Guide as SC HQ

3) Read the sticky 'for new players'

4) Play a few IP games, do it as UK and watch the german moves closely - Never Conceade till Russia has been attacked

5) Ask questions, specifily during your IP games

After 2-20 IP games you will have a good handle on most of the in's and out's of the game specifics - time for serious play.

6) Play PBEM games if you wish, I would suggest to keep it under 5 as they becoume hard to 'control' unless your playing the same side and operational plan in each.

7) As you come up with detailed questions, run a search first as most subjects have been covered in detail by now.

What is the right proportion of research spending to production spending? What are the ideal orders to attack with? What are the best formations? That kind of thing.
These are all good questions. Unfortunately, there are no perfect answers which are universally applicable. Dan Fenton and I avoided specific details on purpose because each game and each player's style is slightly different. Players simply need to experiment with different strategies and tactics to determine what works well and what doesn't.

SC considers so many factors in an attack that it really depends on the situation - DOTS! Entrenchment, experience, supply, HQ command, unit type, etc. So check your units to see who has what HQ link and what their supply level is, etc. Do you lead attacks with your best units and then let other units gain the kill experience, or vice versa? Do you invest heavily in research for potential advantages later or build more forces to fight now? These are important decisions each player has to make for himself.

The beauty of SC is that is plays quickly and easily enough that players should be able to get a decent feel for the game in a few weeks. Or sooner if you play like a maniac! Play each side against the AI a couple of times with increasing difficulty. Play another person via PBEM or TCP/IP a couple of times. Read some of the AARs to see how other people play. After a while you'll understand and appreciate the nuances of the game and develop your own style. Enjoy the journey. ;)