Approved Solution for Norway as Axix???

Kurt Bullard

Still experimenting and trying to find the best way to take Norway as the Axis. The Norwegian forces seem too strong to "blitz", so the best I can do is land several Corps' and eventually take Oslo with a combination of air attacks, attacks from Corps' with no supply, and a fresh Corps landed that turn. All while fending off the British Navy!

Is there a better way? Does an HQ help?

Kurt

Originally posted by Kurt Bullard:

Still experimenting and trying to find the best way to take Norway as the Axis. The Norwegian forces seem too strong to "blitz", so the best I can do is land several Corps' and eventually take Oslo with a combination of air attacks, attacks from Corps' with no supply, and a fresh Corps landed that turn. All while fending off the British Navy!

Is there a better way? Does an HQ help?

Kurt

Attack with armies instead of corps, and yes an HQ does help.

HQ helps like you wouldn't belive....

Except I don't think it helps the Air Any really but thats just IMHO.

Also he's right i've taken Sweden and Norwar with 3 Panzers, 2 Fighters and 1 Cruiser *for sweeden not that it actually hurt anything*

[edit] Add a HQ to that list, can't remember which one now and I only play on Expert

[ August 05, 2002, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: BiggN ]

When Poland is about to fall, then I declare war on Denmark and bombard Copenhagen with the two cruisers, two or three airfleets, and a Corps backed by a HQ. Once Poland and Denmark falls, then I move all the airfleets into Denmark, and transport 3 armies and a HQ to Sweeden, and two panzers to Norway. I land one panzer to each side of Oslo, and hit it (backed by airforces if required). I take Sweeden with the HQ backed armies, and Luftwaffe and the two cruisers in support. Both nations will fall, but you haveto include atleast 1 HQ to make it quick enough. If you get bogged down here, then you will have problems against the French.

Only when both nations have surrendered, and I transfer the bulk of my forces to the French border, do I declare war on the Low Countries and blitz into France.

That's how I do it anyway smile.gif Though, seems like you are already on the right path to get a good strategy on the Scandinavian countries ;)

~Norse~

BiggN, The HQ unit does help the Air Force units quite a bit. In the "Battle of Britain", I group 3 air units near a HQ, and it increases their readiness, making them more effective, and reducing their losses. I also had another group of air units without a HQ, and the difference was quite noticeable.

Regards

I tried taking out Sweden & Norway at once after the fall of Poland and Denmark in early 40.

(On expert +1 exp to allies)

Used 1 HQ, 2 armies and 2 panzer groups + 3 airgroups. Spent so much time on this that it was august before I could turn to France.

It all got very messy and I only defeated France in may 41, one turn after Russia decleared war on me tongue.gif )

Taking out Norway, then finishing of France, Yugo and Greece is more awarding...in my humble opinion ;)

I've not heard about anyone going for England after France in 40?

Go for France first after Poland. This will give you enough MPPs to attack Scandanivia with everything but the proverbial kitchen sink! And you won't have to worry about the Brits turning France into a base for all thier troops, etc. A3

Once France is out, I use my two cruiser fleets (heretofore idle), one air unit, and an army to take Denmark. Meanwhile, start moving units next to ports for transport. Once Denmark falls, use the fleets and an air unit or two to soften up Norway, then land a coupla armies, an armor unit and definitely an HQ.

It works out well because once Norway goes, you can turn around and try for Sweden next, although it's much tougher.

A bit of the topic but some thing is rotten in the state of Denmark ...

It Seem strange that it takes 2 fleets and up to 3 airfleets as well as a corps to get denmark to surrender.

In real life Denmark acepted German occupation with a diplomatic protest and very limited small unit combat Basically what the Germans did was to threaten to bomb copenhagen and in return DK surrender. redface.gif The ease of the operations in DK in turn made the attack on Norway much easier.

Denmark as it is in SC makes a easy attack on norway tricky unless one starts to attack as soon as Poland falls. Maybe Denmark should be given a corps of str 1-3 just to simulate the need to have a credible threat of a air strike....

Just my two cents

Dragoon19

you don't have to engage the Royal Navy at all during the Norway campaign

the RN doesn't come out immediately - there's a turn lag while you are spotted and reacted to - so all you have to do is put the Huns on transports, move them all up to the Norwegian coast, then declare war the next turn and land them all right away. the only naval protection i send is the one german submarine on the left flank of the invading force

the RN sometimes shows up after the germans are on the shore, but that's their own doom, as my ground based air out of denmark send them all to the bottom

a sufficient force to take norway is two armies, two corps, and an HQ, with some air fleets bombing out of denmark

the nice thing is that once you take norway, the ports are close enough together that you can transport all your armies out of norway and into germany in one move, right in time for the french ( I usually do Poland, Denmark, Norway, and then France).