More Strategic Commang Questions

wilhelmshaven

OK

I've learned how to build transports, invade, and reinforce units. But, when you invade are the "empty" transports of any value? Also I am guessing that in order to keep the invading armies supplied and reinforced that a port must be captured. Also I do not really understand how or for that matter how the campaign editor works, a simple explanation would be fine.

On the question of a port, yes a port is vital to supplying your units. And also very very important is to have a HQ unit. Early on in learning the game learn how important HQ units are.

I am not sure about your first question as to what you meant.

God this is too painful to watch.

Where are all the veterans?

Is NOOOOOO one going to field a modestly decent response to Wilhelmshaven?

Wil first off the rulebook is a clear must. You must have elected to jump right into the game. Easy mistake, as the interface is deceptively straightforward.

Second,,there is also a Strategy Guide for the game, unofficial item written by one of the old crowd.

http://www.ww2n.com/schq/

Consider it a must read.

One detail that must have eluded you.

A lot of game functions are only accessed by selecting the unit, then right clicking to get a small sub menu.

Transports are not units. You transport a unit by being beside a port at the start of a move.

Right click on the unit, select transport, purchase the option and the unit transforms into a transport. You have not bought a transport, your unit became the transport.

When you unload the unit, the transport is removed. Thus, you never retain transports.

Units become reduced in readiness the longer they are at sea. So make plans to not remain at sea long. Also, landing on a hostile shore can incur a random amount of landing casualties.

Plus, while in transport mode, your unit is very vulnerable, so make plans to protect them from hostile attack.

The key to supply are HQ units. Learn to use them, as your chances of winning are determined by them.

Landing on an enemy shore is a good way to go out of supply. And a port of inland city will not make any real difference if you didn't bring a HQ unit.

A dozen units and no HQ is a gift to your opponent.

Ports are vital, but not really if you have a city. You can survive with either, you just cannot retreat then out of that area. Plus Ports provide a handy buggy amphibious assualt attack.

All units in SC have a readiness influenced by HQs, Citys, Ports...The higher rated HQ, the Higher supply City-Port etc... more Readiness<actualy fighting effectiveness you're going to get out of those units>

DO NOT ever go into an offensive operation without either an Angle, a crapload of units, or an HQ... ;) Rule of Thumb

Also If you go into a low Supply region, with 5 supply bring a 7 or better HQ