tech advances and costs

Sand Castle

Would like to share something I've been thinking about. It seems that everyone complains about the massive use of air power (especially when the tech levels advance). One of the problems I have with the way tech advances are handled is that when a unit type goes up a level every unit of that type on the board goes up to the new level. It seems to me that it would make more sense (in the case of air, rockets, armor, anti-tank, anti-air), if only newly purchased units would be at that level. Hardly makes sense that the end of one month your air force is one type of plane and the next they have miraculously been transformed into a more advanced type. Currently I build as many units at the cheaper cost with the hope that tech advances will improve their value down the road. With the "you only get the new shiny stuff when it has been invented" paradigm, people would be forced to make the decision to build old level units or wait to the new level comes online. When newer levels come into being older types of units could still be rebuilt to the maximum level their current tech would allow, be used up in battle, or disbanded. Any thoughts?

To tie in with this, I do not fully understand why units go up in strength as well as getting attack or defense bonuses. What does a unit's tech level have to do with its size? Why wouldn't I be able to have 12 squadrons of level 1 tech planes in the same air fleet? Perhaps tech level should only effect unit stats, not strength level? Or maybe their could be a new tech called Organization level that would allow you to over strength units across the board with out adding to their attack or defense levels?

This way, a player with low level jets could still put up a better fight with a player with higher level jets, thus taking a little bite out of air power. Of course this would alter the game greatly, but perhaps worth thinking about.

[ June 11, 2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Panzer39 ]

Sand Castle

A very good point. This was a hot issue several months back with a lot of different suggestions.

I suppose the game logic is a unit's replacements would be using the newer weapons. This makes sense for ground and air units but less sense for navies. Modern designs in 1943 would have done little to upgrade World War One era Battleships such as the Malaya.

I'd like to see something better than the present system but would give it a comparatively low priority to things like more realistic weather effects, restrictions on landing operations (as in not being able to land along the Norwegian coast in December!) and various other things that should be overhauled in this version of the game.

One area where I think this would be particularly important is in regard to jet and prop aircraft as jets didn't replace propeller craft but were formed into separate units for the sole purpose of bomber interception.

The Separate Jet and Prop Thread where is linked below.

*Separate Units and Research Fields for Prop and Jet Aircraft

[ June 11, 2003, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

yep, it was discussed some time ago, i think it was shaka who answered me about a problem about this: it involved memory capacity, something about having redundant info (differents types of the same unit) and the problem of memory Hubert was facing, for example, with the map size.

I cant remember the thread title.

To me, this would work out OK if the 'recently advanced unit' had to get a refit in a City (5 MPP+) or Port before the new tech took effect.

Refits were a constant means of quickly introducing new technologies while at war. Then the decision of whether to continue to fight/remain on station at present level or go in for a refit would add another layer of strategy that models real war strategy.