Entrenchment=Defense Bonus?

Col. Kurtz

Like Kuni said, entrenchment makes it harder to inflict damage on the defender.

The best why to attack any unit (whether its entrenched or not) would be to attack in the following order:

Naval Units (Battleships and cruisers, followed by carriers)

Corps

Armies

Airfleets

Strategic Bombers (if needed at that point)

Or at least, that’s how I do it.

Kind of depends Col.K, on what's available, how many hexes you can attack from, and what you want to accomplish. For the most part CT has it right, I would add that SBs subtract 2 levels of entrenchment when attacking or go with your units which receive no counterattack loss, ie carriers/naval/rockets. Once the entrenchment is gone you know what to do. One other note, units with high readiness/experience are more apt to cause a strength loss in addition to the loss of entrenchment as well as not receiving damage in return but are more useful when entrenchment is nill. When all else is unavailable use corps to reduce entrenchment as they are cheapest for replacement costs.

Entrenchment is essential to a good defence. In the defence of France I fill the maginot line with corps and hold the armies in reserve, out of range from the Luftflottes. The reason I do this is because corps when well entrenched can hold off armies quite easily, they can't do it under sustained pressure but they might buy you a turn or 2 to replenish other units or whatever. Corps are also cheap to reinforce which is a big plus.