The other little things

kurt88

A thread to add all the 'little' things of leisure and eyecandy that Hubert might forget but would not be difficult to implement in SC2.Ofcourse gameplay is priority,but hey,it doesn't hurt to ask ;)

-Mp3 playback possibility

-Some cool pictures for events

-Better sound effects?

-Info commanding officers/Hq's

- The screen border changes based on whether you are playing the Allies or the Axis.

- Nation related popup screens when a new tech level is reached with a picture of the new weapon and a description of the technology discovered - ie Tanks LvL5 - Picture (Tiger Tank) - Descrption: (The Tiger Tank .........)

- News Reporter announces the surrender or liberation of a country to [overwhelming(if more than 3 ground units are in country) enemy forces] or [a carefully orchestrated (if less than 3 ground units are in country) attack supported by (enemy air forces)(enemy air and naval forces) (enemy naval forces) (superior combat tactics of the enemy forces).]

The term [Enemy forces] would change to the name of the national unit that occupied the capital - ie Russian forces, Italian, British, American, German, Free French, Bulgarian, etc.

All good things and better as an on/off option. I don't play games like Risk and A&A because they waste too much time with annoying and mandatory eyecandy transitions when what I really want to do is get to the next move.

[ March 27, 2003, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Jersey John

I agree that this chrome should be offered as mandatory on/off options.

Sometimes I want to play a quick game, and other times I may want to learn a bit about history (ie Rockets LvL3 - ie, V2 rockets with a range of xxxx and capable of carrying xxxx. Faced problems with .)

It might also give palyers an incentive to conduct research in areas that are often overlooked, just to see the pop-ups on the new weapons systems.

As for what equipment to apply to each level of research (for purposes of a Tech Level Popup screen), here are my initial thoughts;

Germany: Tanks

Concept: Popup has a picture of the tank with a short description below it, along with facts about the tank - ie Gun size, Armor , Actual WWII production, etc.

Tech Lvl 1 - Panzer IV - 75 MM gun

Tech Lvl 2 - Tiger (88 MM gun, 100mm armor)

Tech Lvl 3 - Panther G (75 MM Gun, 60 MM armor, faster)

Tech Lvl 4 - King Tiger (88 MM Gun, 100mm armor)

Tech Lvl 5 - Maus (128 MM Gun, 200mm armor), only 4 were built before the end of the war.

Germany: Rocket

Concept: Popup has a picture of the rocket along with a short description and statistics - Speed, Range, shortcomings, actual WWII production.

Tech Lvl 3 - V1 Rocket - Slow moving, many where shot down by anti-air, minimal damage

Tech Lvl 4 - V2 Rocket - Very Fast, Range 250 Missles, lots of damage

Tech Lvl 5 - V3 Rocket - On the drawing board but never actually built

[ March 27, 2003, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

It's been said... "it's the little things in Life that truly matter," and, having lived ordinarly, and really quite strangely, for awhile, I can attest that... that sort of approach is truly too Cool... :cool:

I concur with kurt88 about appropriate pictures for Special Events, and I sure hope! we will have many, many of these Events so to avidly ogle at. Also concur that better sound effects would increase aesthetic pleasure... speaking of which,

Whether a GS turn-based game, or hip hip! a Monet-like holiday along the banks of the flaming gorgeous Seine , or... ahem, the desert-roughened Rio Grande... for those who... witlessly INSIST that "the French" are worthless human beings and hardly deserving of God's (mostly-American) Love, let alone! the discreetly divine approval of Television air-heads... well, anyhow, these "little things" can make ALL the difference in... le Monde oops, sacre bleu!! excuse Lately Incorrect me... I mean, The... for-ENGLISH-only World...

... whether you become IMMERSED in the Gestalt, or merely thrash your way through, yes, etc.

I would also agree with Edwin P. about MORE DETAILED silhouettes for the various fighting equipment involved in that "Good War" - WW2, wherein Ancient Evil was apparently quite easy to locate and annihilate from a distance... though, Knights of Olde would surely shudder in their OLD Europe grave at such long range and REMOTE kind of one-sided contests, oh anyway, and etc. ;)

So, let's have NATION SPECIFIC silhouettes! on the events, AND on the small unit counters... just another example of some tiny thing that charms the hell out of the free-thinking Participant... akin I would suppose, to noticing and naming!!

... all the exquisite butterflys! that pirouette (... EGADS!!!!!!!!!! damn near IMPOSSIBLE to ELIMINATE those horrid! French words, ain't it... Kilroy! - gimmee some FRENCH fries, please...what? Freedom Fries ... nah, forget it Scam-Slinger, I ain't that back-brain Chauvinist, I'll just amble on over to somewhere else...)

... and sublimely flutter all across the banks of the... oddly despised!!... Seine... :cool:

Immer

Agreed, though perhaps not as poetically. But when all is said and done I'd like to also have the option of turning the videos, etc., off. There are programs I've seen that incorporate very fine audio and video effects but force you sit through them at every sitting, often turning a short game in the sense of playing time into a long drawn out time consuming piece of drudgery. Sure, there are times I'd like to hear the 1941 Yugoslavian National Anthem, but there are other times I'd like having the option of a quick pop-up that says <Belgrade is Toast, Proceed? y/n>.

You're right about French bashing, it's always a bit ridiculous to bash any ethnic group. It baffles me that anyone could feel ill against the homeland of Maurice Chevallier, surely such Barbarians have never seen Gigi (nor read any of Colette's novels). We ought to look at their good points: Lady Liberty, the Eiffel Tower, composers such as Saint-Saens, Bizet, Cesar Frank, Hector Berlioz, Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel, innumerable painters of fruit and chunky naked women and the French people themselves, humanity's first line of defense against those locust-like snails.

[ March 28, 2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]