Storm Across Europe...?

EPG

Sure I remember that one. smile.gif The AI cheated like hell, and the interface was clumsy and unforgiving, but it nevertheless was fun back then in 1989 (my biggest gripe was that you could only play against the computer when you chose the German side). I remember that it already had the option of investing in research and that the atomic bomb could be researched, too. SAE is often labelled the "grandfather" of WW2 grand strategy computer games, and that is not totally off the mark in my book, even if there was at least also "The Big Three".

Consider, though, that SAE was a province based game, whereas SC is hexbased. In the end, this alone makes it pretty incomparable to SC from a design and gameplay point of view (apart from the quite obvious differences in interface, sound and graphics, of course).

Straha

[ June 17, 2002, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Straha ]

Well, ST, There ARE airborne troops in SC, just not as seperate units. It is my understanding that the game scale does not permit a seperate, functional airborne unit. But, when you invade Festung Europa, you are free to close your eyes and imagine little parachutes floating down on that coastal hex....