CMBO "Fire & Maneuver" Noob Help

I'm struggling with the training scenario "Fire & Maneuver". I've tried no fog-of-war but still find it hard. I've succecfully managed to wipe out one or two pockets, but soon enough my tanks are wasted. I would appreciate some advice on how to tackle this scenario.

- what weapon and what range is best for taking out those AT guns on that hill? Engaging them with tanks early on hasn't proved good. If it's the best way, I clearly must improve my timing and precision of tank movement.

- same Q with those damn artillery spotters? Their combinations with the guns, their can be a real pain in the neck. But I guess that that's the whole point :)

- And in full fog-of-war, how to spot those things in the first place?

This is a training scenario all right...it trains you to see your sh** blown up lol. Those AT guns are murder...and it doesn't help that they're not fixed...you'll see them move around each time you play the scenario.

I've only beaten it once, and then it was a marginal victory. I've seen the computer do a little better, but it all boils down to a little luck.

IF you get Tigers as re-inforcements, life gets much easier...they're not as prone to getting knocked out by the all seeing AT guns, plus the 88mm gun seems to knock the AT guns out much quicker.

Generally speaking, I try to deal with the first pocket in the lower right corner...use smoke as best you can to cover the advance, and hope that you can get the first part of the work done w/o losing too much time and equipment from the minefields and the AT guns.

If you can take at least one of the at guns out here...there's usually one right up the right side of the map on the hill...it makes dealing with the other 2 easier. Of course, I've seen that one gun light up a whole pile of my stuff before...I had 3 or 4 of the PzkIV blazing away at it before, and watched them all get brewed up...so this part can be a crapshoot.

IF you manage to knock that gun out, then wait for the reinforcement (and pray for some Tigers in the mix...not very often, but you'll get lucky once in a while). At that point, what seems to work the best is to mass your armor, and head up the middle of the map from the bottom edge...try to have all your tanks come up over the little rise and in view of the AT guns all at once...6 or 7 tanks will *usually* be able to knock out the 2 remaining guns, but once again, there's some luck here...you never know who's gonna come out on top.

If you haven't managed to knock out at least one gun prior to this tactic, it usually ends in disaster. Once (and if) you take out all 3 guns, the rest is pretty easy, really...you only have his tank destroyers left to worry about, and you can usually outnumber them.

I've tried to get the mortar spotter someplace where he can do some good, but typically, the scenario depends on your armor taking our his AT guns before you ever really get him placed to direct fire...and those guns seem to have a hella advantage at 1000 yards plus.

I'd love to hear some other strategies for this one.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Bil Hardenberger:

*snicker*

Makes me all warm inside to know this old scenario is still giving people fits ;)

I really must convert it to CMAK soon.

Bil

can we assume that you're the sadistic bast...I mean designer of this scenario lol? If so, well done...it's a tough one. As I have CMAK on the way, by all means do convert it!