Taking out Cairo/Suez

Ok what is the pro advice for taking and booting out the British (assumes the game is going in a current text book fashion for the Germans).

I am just curious, what is the prevailing "technique" for cracking this one.

I have done the 39 and 41 games, where in one I don't start at war with Italy, and the one where I start competing with Tobruk.

And in both cases I suck smile.gif

Les the Sarge:

It depends on if Egypt is defended or not. Without defence (i.e. only corps) you only need to send the italian navy to bombard and the 3 italian armies + 3-5 corps with transports to land and kill the allied units.

If there is a defence with ships, air and/or Hq, then you have to send a german Hq and 3-5 airfleets to Tobruk. Use your german air/italian navy to clear the path to Tobruk if necessary. Then nothing in Egypt can withstand a combined air and naval assault. You can blow away 1-2 allied units/turn and advance slowly but surely. Since you have time until late 1941, it should be no problem to reach Iraq long before Barbarossa.

The only thing Allies can do to prevent Axis from taking Egypt is to take Tobruk and Tripoli. Preferably most of the italian navy should be destroyed with french ships and some transports taking the naval bases. Against a veteran player this is usually only possible with a preemptive strike at Italy (DoW + landings around Tobruk and in Italy at the same turn (forbidden in ZL, therefore a successful Allied Med strategy is not possible in ZL). ´

Without a preemptive strike Axis has no problems to protect its fleet and cities. In this case, Allies can only delay Axis in Egypt, but they can never stop them. So be careful which and how much units you send there, everything in Egypt/Iraq will be lost. If it is worth the mpp, depends on the damage in time/mpp you can do to Axis.

[ October 26, 2003, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: Terif ]

Terif goes about it the right way. If the Allied player devotes Airfleets and HQs you've gotta judge and counter. Sometimes I'll buy an Italian HQ which isn't much use, so I stopped doing that as Italian HQs ratings aren't strong enough to take anything fast in N.Africa. The Axis Airfleets can be cumbersome to operate there... along with an HQ... it costs a lot and takes time. Sometimes the best move is to send 6-10 mixed Axis Armies and corps to move in every possible open hex so that if the Allied player doesn't operate out he's most likely going to lose a valuable Airfleet or two. If he placed a valuable HQ there and airfleets..be weary overcommitting it may be as Terif says a way for you to expend MPPs

Most of the time an Allied player devotes about 2-3 corps in which case with Italian Naval bombardment and 3 Armies-3-4 corps you can easily take Suez, use it as transport launch against Alexandria... and take out the city within 5-6 turns..just enough time to transport you Italians back up to polish off Greece or move forward into Iraq before Barbarossa if you choose to do that..

I highly suggest taking Vichy before Egypt though...

You don't want to have to go backwards, that will cost more than it's worth most definitely

furthermore. if the Ally devotes sooooo much to Egypt ;) Focus on England he'll quickly change his mind

As Allies, to Keep my opponents off balance I frequently change my strategy for Egypt each game.

As Terif says you have to realize that against a dedicated opponent the Middel East will fall, the question is how much can you make them pay for it.

Sometimes I will base all my UK Airfleets and bomber units east of the Suez and hide a single UK naval fleet in the Suez Canal. Then I patiently wait until Axis transports come in range and then attack.

As Axis, if I aim for the Egypt I will most likely attack Vichy france and take Beruit on the on the same turn as this will give me an airbase from which to push toward Egypt and to scout out the Allied defenses.

LOL Les.

I think that the Area of Operation hinders the use of Historical accuracy. What you need to do is put limitations on Transports and make amphibiouscraft as well... and add a more dynamic system of supply for the Suez. Then when transports are longer self supportive floating Armadas you will have troubles ;) As well as craft that can endure any condition and stay at sea overloaded with millions of men for virtually years