Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Guide for winning ground, air and navy battles.

zappsweden

I just want to add some of my rules of thumb that I usually (not always) stick to when trying to destroy my enemies.

1) Use the HQ experience rules to your advantage. When conquering a fortified city, try to use non-HQ units first (to reduce the entrenhments) and let the hq units take the credit for the last winning battles hence increasing the HQ experience. Usually useful in Russia when taking highly fortified units with a combination of German HQ-supported units and Italian without HQ support ones.

2) Try to kill off a unit with an expensive high strength unit. It is better to gain the 0.3 kill experience with a 8 strength Tank than with a 10 strength corps.

3) Try not to move defending units too much. They need to be entrenched to delay the attackers the most. In defence, it is often good to have a corps in a "no win situation hex" since it will cost less to reinforce or "cost less" when being destroyed.

4) In some naval battles, it can be worth while to send out a corps to spot enemy naval positions and then strike them after they surprise the cheap corps.

5) In a battle for air superiority, try placing your best HQ near the air fleets and make your first air attack with your best air unit. If u win more air battles than you lose then the opponent will lose HQ experience and u gain HQ experience. That will tip the scale in your favour (sometimes crucial in the German-French wars in 1940).

6) there are three types of goals with an attack.

a) Reducing the enemy entrenchments so that it can be taken next turn

B) Inflicting casualties on the enemy to make him pay MPP

c) Destroying the enemy unit.

First decide where u can break through (destroying unit). If u cannot then try to inflict as much MPP losses to the enemy as possible. Do not waste 3-4 attacks on a corps without killing it, when you could have damaged one of his armies or tanks instead.

7) Make sure that front units do not miss HQ support. If u have 3 hq's and only 2 of them reach the front then it could very well turn out that those 2 HQ's take their units before the third hence leaving the front unit without HQ. If u have 16 units and 3 HQ's or 11 units and 2 HQ's then run or operate some corps far away from the HQ's and front so that the HQ will not pick that corps instead of the front units.

8) When defending against a stronger opponent (Germany vs France, Germany vs Poland), do not counter attack if you suffer much losses or have to move around your units to much. The non entrenched moved damaged units can be slaughtered next turn by the stronger attacker. The ideal is if you can counter kill an enemy unit and cover it by sending some sacrificing corps to fill the gaps. Check the expected losses field before making the counter, it can give u a hint on what losses is to be expected after you have mad multiple attacks on the enemy unit. Perhaps he is without HQ and you read a Att 1 Def 3 already on the first attack i.e beneficial.

9) Try to give the HQ support to the units where mosr fighting take place. There is no point in HQ supporting the maginot units at the expense of leaving a Lowland Border defender without HQ.

10) Defending against naval bombardment is a no-win situation. Generally, devote this jobs to a corps since they are cheaper to reinforce.

11) Try to have 4-5 air units ready to punish enemy HQ's from going to near the front line units. Since some enemy units probably are some hexes away from cities, it is tempting trying to increase their supply by having an HQ near.

[ May 16, 2003, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

As originally posted by zappsweden:

I just want to add some of my rules of thumb that I usually (not always) stick to when trying to destroy my enemies.

LOL! Nor do I... always... stick to these sorts of guidelines when trying to survive... in this, our mostly biologically determined world, no matter any progressive preference for better, more Spirit-infused behaviors. ;)

But, excellent insights nonetheless... especially in regard to HQ matters... hope you have sent these and other suggestions to Bill Macon so he might continue to update the SC Strategy Guide, although...

I probably would never use the floating kamikaze Corps idea, since I am an old poco loco Caballero, who is sometimes staid & hide-bound... who would surely have the Devil's own time against... all the "young reckless guns" who do use such gamey strategems...

**Speaking of which, the Lincoln County sheriff out here in my native state of New Mexico is intending to compare the DNA from the exhumed remains of Billy the Kid , and Billy's mother, AND! some guy who claims he is related (... we get buku batches of these old crusty Cowboy Cons out here).

See, they're trying to solve... The Mystery... did Pat Garrett kill the gun-slinging Kid at Fort Sumner, New Mexico back on July 14, 1881? or... did the "real" Billy escape from that relentless Pat Garrett and actually die... many years later... stay tuned all you Wild West aficions... :cool: