banned?

Unless you broke some forum rule and were specifically banned by a BFC admin I wouldn't worry. I (or more correctly my ISP) have been banned several times. IIRC how Matt explained it, there are groupings of ISP numbers that are on the blacklist, and every once in a while you draw that number. Rebooting fixed that problem.

You were not specifically banned, rather the IP address that AOL has leased to you was, some time in the past.

The best thing to do is try and reconnect (reset) your modem which may get you a new IP. Usually AOL will lease you a new IP address within 24-48 hours anyway though.

Madmatt

Could anyone bare with me and explain what banned means? Can one get banned as in disallowed to post? (Well obviously not, as the banned person here posted). Why would one get banned? Does one receive warning?

Is there a list of words that are generally considered curses and bad words in American English on the internet? I only have British English dictionaries at hand here.

Concerned

Dandelion

Could anyone bare with me and explain what banned means?
Banning is the term used to describe the disciplinary action taken by a board admin against someone who has violated the forum rules. To be banned means you are booted off this forum, and no longer allowed back in.

Why would one get banned? Does one receive warning?
Violations of the forum rules will get you the boot, although you are usually given a warning beforehand as a chance to correct your behavior. Some examples of violations would be flaming, baiting, posting obscene material, failing to provide an AAR for the ROW tourneys (OK, I made the last one up, but it should be)

Is there a list of words that are generally considered curses and bad words in American English on the internet? I only have British English dictionaries at hand here.
Not a complete list, but it's a start:

George Carlin's 7

"failing to provide an AAR for the ROW tourneys"

LOL! What's this ROW business that people keep mentioning?

Thanks for the update King,

English for non native speakers can be a minefield of unknown subtleties. One picks up slang perhaps creating the illusion to natives of ones better understanding of his language than is actually the case, thus persuading him refuse to accept that one does not really understand the subtle and underlying meanings he has assumed one is using.

It can be as trivial as an adress.

I had posts deleted from the BBC debate board for using Sir and Mr too often. Admins told me I was using inflammatory language, being superior and sarcastic simply by using Sir and Mr too often in my texts. It really (again) made me seriously insecure in contacts with Brits. In what other ways was I insulting them when trying to be nice? The BBC never answer questions, so I asked the British Consule here how I should properly adress my British peers and elders in a conversation, if I do not know them and they are generally older than I. And the Consulate answered "With 'Sir', Sir".

I still haven't figured that one out, but I am convinced it all makes perfect logic to Englishmen.

I was banned altogether from an American forum for asking a man if he was a patriot. It turns out there is a KKK group calling themselves this, making much noise at the time, and everybody knew this except me and everybody assumed I was making reference to them, and thus insulting the poor fellow. I had to write the man personally to explain, and then he got me back in.

An Australian pen-pal of mine wrote me that he felt uneasy with my calling him Sir (he's twice my age) and felt it a bit haughty, reaffirming his prejudice of many Europeans being snobs. He found it much nicer when I just called him Tom, even when we first met in Prague, all four (with wives) lost in a suburb and having an amusing adventure finding our way back. Problem is, calling my elders by first name on the first meeting would be so uncouth that in fact I have severe feelings of shame when adapting to not saying it even knowing how Tom perceives things.

One never really learns a foreign language. Thus I say Lingua Franca English speakers must have lots of slack in the stop-bad-language rules. So to the administrators I would like to suggest:

1. If a Lingua Franca Englishspeaker ever appear to be using offensive or abusive language, they are probably not aware of it and are using it in the meaning found in a dictionairy.

2. If a Lingua Franca Englishspeaker ever appear uncouth, it probably is involontary and will stem from shortcomings in their contemporary English.

3. If You ever feel a Lingua Franca Englishspeaker is about to be banned, please grant them the benefit of doubt.

Regards

Dandelion

Hi, as explained by Madmatt, "I" personally was not banned, but my AOL IP number was (and still is), and this does mean that i could only read the forums and not post, this creates a new problem in that i could not reply to any answers given to any questions that i had asked, this i felt would be impolite, anyway to cut a long story short i have managed to get in using IE. (if you guys never hear from me again, it shall mean that the powers that be have cut that connection too).

all in all it is a bit worrying that someone can be banned from a forum just because someone else misused an old IP address that has since been allocated to me.

surely someone should look into these things before applying a ban, after all as we all know, mistakes can be made.

hopefully this can all be put behind now, HEY. how about un banning my AOL IP number?????