Amphibious landings (again or still??) for SC2??

Guest Mike

I played Norse's Stalingrad campaign last night, and the ease of making amphibious landings still gets to me.

For example there's no way the Allies could have landed at teh base of the Denmark Peninsular as happens so often - teh shallows, the islands, the mines would all make it utterly impractical even without a major defence!!

And as for landing multiple English units up the entire length of the Italian Peninsular...yeah, right!!

I think the number of places where they can be done should be limited - eg have "beach" hexes (OK - so a 50 mile deep beach isn't historic either, but you know what I mean tongue.gif )

So landings in enemy territory would be limited to "beach" hexes and I'd suggest any hex adjacent to a port (ie the reverse of where you can "transport" from).

The Simple answere is to have Beach hexsides.

Every coastal hexside would be beach head worthy or not with a simple grafic like shallower water (lighter blue).

And while im at it I think that scorched earth should definitely be ussable by the Germans especialy in the east and that there should be an option to Not Scorch somthing as you flee.

just a thought

Don´t think we should have beach hexes as such. makeing beach hexes has the potential of puting to many limits on amphibious ops as a tool for surprise.

I think a better solution could be that losses taken by units when doing amphibious landings should be higher in certain hexes.

That is, ideal landing areas should give around 0-1 pts damage. More difficult landing ares damage could be as high as 2-3 pts. while the west coast of Norway and some other places should give 3-5 pts of damage.

This way the strategic option and surprise of amphibious landing remain an option even if an expensive one. Maybe losses could even be adjustable due to the seasons (and amphibious tech....) :D

Dragoon19

Another possibility is to have greater terrain differentiation (this actually could apply anywhere on the map). Certain terrain would not permit efficiency levels to rise above a set percentage of what the unit started out at. This way, units in very rough terrain wouldn't be able to concentrate their full combat power.

This is one of my major gripes with the game, as it is, terrain has too little differentiation and effect. Still a great game, mind you, but could be better still. smile.gif