1944 campaign experience

Kuniworth

Have tried to play the AI a couple of times in the 1944 campaign trying to hold out as the Axis. I seem to very difficult, usually I can drag the war in to autumn/winter 1945 before surrendering.

Now I want to hear from you guys. What is your exzperience of this scenario, have you managed to hold out to end date? Where to you place your defence-line in the east(warzaw) and what else should you do.

In the War in russia forum someone once thought of the 1944-eastfront as trying to stop a steamroller with bare hands. I find this to be true. If the AI maximise damage on many diffrent units there is no way that germany can maintain replacements so eventuallt they drown.

What I try to do against the AI is blocking D-day with corps so the allies withdraw back to England. Then I move the remnants of the heeren ost back to Warzaw-konigsberg line. Often disband armies and airfleets to have corps as the mainstand of the line which will make more replacements available.

However this works...at least for half year or something. Then the russians breakthrough and you give up the Balkans which only make your downfall come more quickly. Meantime the western allies again unleashes their forces on a by now empty France.

What to do guys?

So...what do you do...

Its very difficult. Almost impossible. You have to fight a 3 front war with limited reascources and few troops. I generally do not abandon France, and try to give the Western allies as tough a time as I possibly can. Once you start to fall in France, send a corps to Paris and the other nearby cities and hold out for as long as possible to deny the French liberation. In Italy it is easy to hold the stalemate line, but replace the Army there with a corps. As for Russia, its nearly impossible. Withdraw your force to the Reich Borders because it is a smaller area to defend. In Romania hold on like hell to the oilfields because they are your main source of income. Abandon your small force in Norway and put it to better use. Also researching Ind-Tech is a must because it makes all of your unites more affordable. If you can survive up to the Spring of 1946, then consider it a victory.

Well the question in the bloody chaos of the eastern front should be wether or not it will be a fighting retreat or just a run. I believe more and more that retreating slowly and fighting back to be the correct strategy. Partly because you can keep up the MMP for a while but above all that the destruction of some russian armies are important. Go for destruction not reducing units.

If you play the 1943 scenario you can destroy the bulk of the red army before you reach christmas. This is not the case here.

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

[QB]

However this works...at least for half year or something. Then the russians breakthrough and you give up the Balkans which only make your downfall come more quickly. QB]

I wasnt forced to give up the balkans, quite the contrary was the case, because the mountainous terrain is favourable for the germans and good to defend (high entrenchment value). I also took a try to defend Riga prolonged, with few armies and corps and a HQ, but not very succesfully. At least the russians never broke through my lines at the german border, where i operated most of the eastern army in the first turn. The situation in the west is more difficult, in may 46 my troops in the east were still in good order, but the anglo-americans took the capital. :mad:

Originally posted by acambria:

Abandon your small force in Norway and put it to better use.

Norway will be undefended then and opened for allied liberation ?! The loss of the iron ore from the norwegian mines would cause serious trouble to german armaments industry what axis player cant afford!

[ November 09, 2002, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: JayJay_H ]

I usually operate as many units as possible from Russia to France. Then, while my forces in Russia retreat to a defensive line, my forces in France crush the Allied invasion and destroy as much of their airforce as possible. Then I rush my troops back to Russia, leaving a few corps in France, and just try to hold out until May, 1946, because an offensive in Russia would probably fail completely.

In the 44 camp, i rig the scenario with the scenario editor and give the germans the upper hand and i win!! But any way, the best strategy i found was to reinforce Paris and tactfull retreat on the Russian front as mentioned by DLW2. The Russian defensive plan was mentioned by Rommel in early 1944 and you can find his plan in the "Rommel Papers," a defense of massive tank traps arty and fortifications. Like the Russains did at Kursk.

This is one of my favourite scenarios for ww2 games.

The first question is what difficulty is realistic? I find computer does more than historically at both +2 and +1 advantage. I suggest intermediate +1, but possibly normal.

I concur with the above view that the best strategy for the germans is to land a knockout blow on one front, thus freeing up resources for the other two. This means transferring all remaining offensive assets to that theatre. I particularly enjoy stripping all air units to one front - the enemy can't shoot down your expensive luftwaffe if there are none in the sky!

It's also worth noting that this particular scenario puts the germans at a disadvantage because it starts on the morning of the Soviet DAGC offensive. While the size of this offensive took the germans completely by surprise, I believe that their intelligence services were expecting an attack and a rational leadership would probably have shortened the line, reducing the effects of this offensive. I know I would have! :)

So I suggest that it is reasonable to edit it to let the germans move first to allow them to run like hell for a a turn or two while regrouping!

as an axis, i was able to win this scenario. You have to operate all your eastern army to the polland-russia border and some to french. (this will use almost all of your money)

Because you dont suffer casualty in the eastern front in the beggining. you can win this very easily.

Not that weird against a computer player!

As a boardgame once pointed out, at the start of 1944 the Axis powers controlled about a third of the planet's population and territory, which had taken them almost four years to conquer, and they lost it in less than two years.

This is because they were unable to convert their advantages into military power, but also because they made many "worst case" decisions-

Mismanaged D-Day & Falaise, emasculated jet fighters, disaster of army group centre, abandonment of forces in baltic pockets & norway, Ardennes Offensive, Marshall Islands & Leyte Gulf.

They could have done a lot better, and if they could have stabilised the russian front and held ploesti, they would have been in a significantly better position to receive the atomic bomb.

Originally posted by Martinov:

Not that weird against a computer player!

As a boardgame once pointed out, ...

Dont know if that fits under this topic, but could anyone give some hints how i will get COS running (under windows aint possible eh) DOS mode always gets f***ed up and wont work