SC, 3rd Reich, & some Rambo-ling comments

jon_j_rambo

I bought a 3DO game consol for only one game, Panzer General!... I didn't have a computer at the time so I always would stare at the original DOS version of the game and wonder when I would ever be able to play a military sim without the need to dig up a human opponent! 3DO's Panzer General was my first break away from my board gaming past...I still own Avalon Hill's attempts at solitaire wargaming... there was the AMBUSH series which had three modules as follow ups, then they came out with BATTLE HYMN which was a pacific theater version of Ambush, along with it's module LEATHER NECKS...they were good but for me, the best solitaire game was RAID ON ST. NAZZAIRE...I think I'll wipe the dust off these games and give them another whirl!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ambush was great. I liked it. I'd play it through, then set it aside and play it again months later.

Have you ever read the entire paragraph book? There is some really goofy stuff that you wouldn't have in the game. You only read it in the book. Like the UFO.

Too much fun.

Of course since we are walking down memory lane. Remember the Yaquinto games. I had Bomber and Armour. I loved them both. Especially armour's system of shot angle and penetration. That was awesome. You could see why the germans were laughing at you when your Shermans tried to tackle the Jagdtiger head on.

Shot angle level at a 60 degree sloping armour, and what was that armour thickness again? I can penetrate how much at this range? D'oh! :eek:

Bomber was great too, except it took forever to play the entire war campaign.

I have lost count of how many "classic" computer games I missed out on.

My earlier computers were not up to the games when released.

And now my modern system won't play them for OS reasons etc.

But considering a board game is always 100% as good as the day it was made regardless of what your current computer system is like.

And it seems often silly to pine for second rate software when in most cases the same setting has been duplicated/updated numerous times in software in some manner.

I liked Tanks for instance, but that same game has essentially been recreated in numerous guises since. So i am not going to lament that Tanks might not like my current computer.

Les the Sarge_9 lb --

The computer situation is a mess; the early games were just abandoned instead of being further developed. And you're right, a lot of things that worked perfectly in earlier forms of windows either won't work in xp or do so in quirky ways. I've been hanging on to my old machines since giving away the old IBM/AT and it's paid off -- the 16 meg from '94 runs DOS very well, the 66 meg from '99 runs Windows 98,95 & 3.1 the way they should be, and the current monster runs the new monster programs -- and probably this one will be a dinosaur before much longer.

I can't imagine any other industry getting away with this nonsense. I don't care much for Government Regulating, but in this instance it might be justified as these aren't only recreational devices but essential parts of many small businesses -- which is why I've been stuck buying upgrades; not my choice of where to reinvest the profits but what the hell.

Anyhow, agreed with you and all those others about the finer points of board games.

Wishing now I'd kept mine, along with the shoe box my mom threw away in '63 that had all the Mickey Mantles, Willie Mays, Hank Aarons, Ernie Banks etc cards from their rookie years onwards -- I'd been patiently collecting and trading for years and had them neatly organized by league and team. One day I came home from school and couldn't find the box, my mother had a big smile on her face and said, "You aren't a baby any more, are you?" -- Thanks Mom, could have retired ten years ago on that single shoe box! :D Can't blame her for the board games, they ended up as give-aways over the years.

I don't remember if I had this one, probably not or I'd recall it. Anyway, if you're currently using it on your bicycle spokes, it's worth $50,000.

1crd52.gif

[ December 31, 2002, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

It ain't just computers eh, every year they assume they can re invent the wheel and the rest of the damned car attached to the damned wheel.

And every year it is a new roll of the dice.

2000 such and such car is a soon to be classic, but the 2001 model is garbage, and why the heck did they even make the 2002 version.

Would be nice if they made cars like software, you know, 2000 variant for 2001 with all the glitches removed.

[ January 01, 2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Les the Sarge 9-1b ]

Yeah, and maybe give these things a bit more permanence so people don't have to get a new version of very costly items every five years or so.

Same with buildings. More often than not, the older the house the more it was built for eternity. Those old brownstones and other stone/brick buildings from the 1950s and earlier were intended to endure and last for centuries. The extremely expensive houses I see going up now, even in this not so friendly climate, are downright flimsy by comparrison.

[ December 31, 2002, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]