Band of Brothers

Is no one discussing this series here? Did I miss it?

If you want to get inspired to play CM, I would highly recommend those with HBO to catch Band of Brothers, based on S. Ambrose's book of the same name. It is running on HBO right now and is as faithful to the book as I have ever seen a movie.

Part 4 of 10 was on last night and was an incredible battle of the 101st Airborne during OP Marget-Garden. Unlike movies such as like Patton, Battle of the Bulge, et. al. they are actually trying to make the tanks look and feel like their historical counterparts. I was amazed to be able to distinguish Marder IIs as opposed to Tigers, Stug IIIs, British Sherman IIs, and Cromwells, and many other vehicles. I caught a 20mm halftrack with the open hatch top and another german halftrack with the 75 mm gun (though it seemed longer than the "snub nosed" version depicted in CM. Also, infantry tactics are a major part of the series, with airborne taking on Fallsmjager (sp?) in one scene. The realism of the combat even seems accurate, as AT round from a bazooka bounce off the front of the sloped armor of SP german guns, but the 88 of a Tiger rips through a British armor column of Shermans. The whole series is done in the shaky, hand-camera, gritty style of Saving Private Ryan, with Speilberg and Hanks attaching their name to yet another WWII drama. I have meant to read the book for a long time to improve my CM game, but now I am finally finished with it and the way the miniseries is true to form to the book is amazing.

When this 10 episode mini series is finished, I think it will be the DEFINATIVE work on WWII small arms and infantry vs. armored combat. It's just fantastic.

ElGuapo

Guapo, While you marvel at how bazooka rounds bounce of the front of German armor in this TV show, I thing we have to remember (yet again) when I took out your JadgTiger in turn 3 on the first shot with the a single bazooka team in a 2500 pt game. That very well might still be my CM moment of bliss. :D

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: Cathedral ]