Interview with a Russian tank commander

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Yes, I read this before. It really puts a new light onto all the "stuff" we've been reading before the Cold War.

I must say, it is "refreshing" to hear the Soviet view instead of the German. Plus, it's more first person accounts when people start to debate how much better the Panther is to the IS-II and IS-III (like, give me a break, will ya!)

;)

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Guest Rommel22

Oh yeah Dimitri Loza,

he was a tank commander in 1942 nad later a (I think) a Battalion commander of the 5th mechenized brigade. The 5th was totaly composed of lend-lease tanks. in 42-43 they had Matildas and 44 they had Shermans.

He describes the Matildas as very good tanks, but on one instance the Stavka send the 5th to a area around Roslov where the terrain was wrong for the matildas. Swamps, marshes, mud, barely any roads.

They had to get out of the tanks every 4-5 km to clean out the suspesion, it always got cluttered with mud and with all other things you find in swamps.

The Matildas, like most know, has it's suspensian and tracks covered with side skirts that ARE part of the tank. It was meant for the desert so that the sand can pass through, but in a swamp or mudy terrain, the crap that gets stuck in the suspensian, it cant pass through the small spaces meant for the sand to pass.

That article is a collection of passages from Lozas book. Fighting for the Soviet Motherland. Damn good book!!!

------------------

Rommel22s Kampfgruppe site:

http://rommel22diarys.homestead.com/MyPage1.html

"I saw 5 Germans walking down the side of the road, so I followed them for a few yard to get closer. Then I shot them! Later that day I found out the war has been over for a few weeks." - someone

For once I'd like to bloody hear about someone who fought in a Soviet tank! Ive heard countless stories about Sherman/Churches/other Western Allied armor already. Can't a IS2 driver describe his experiences or something?

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Originally posted by The Commissar:

For once I'd like to bloody hear about someone who fought in a Soviet tank! Ive heard countless stories about Sherman/Churches/other Western Allied armor already. Can't a IS2 driver describe his experiences or something?

HMmm..

I rode a JsII in Panzer Elite this Sunday. But I guess that doesn't count...

wink.gif

Heinz