Can sharpshooters harm german flak vehicles?

Topi

Hi,

After having faced about gazillion german flak vehicles in QBs, I started to notice that sharpshooters have very little effect on them. This of course needed to be tested a little. I set up a small scenario with 25 elite US sharpshooters (10 ammo each) against one regular german 37mm flak vehicle (not tank but the truck carrying a gun, number of which just escaped me..) , with range around 150 - 300 meters (open grass box lined with trees, sharpshooters hidden in trees). After having expended 250 units of ammo from sharpshooters, I noted that vehicle had still not suffered any casualties! (Second run of the scenario ended the same way, too.)

And I am under impression that these AA-vehicles are not armoured and gun crew has only limited protection behind the gun shield? The vehicle clearly perceives sharpshooters as a threat and tries to reverse away from the closest one, but is not actually harmed in any way.

I tried a seach with no luck, so I was left wondering if this is a feature, a bug or was I only hit with bad run of random number generator? Ah, and the version is 1.12.

Topi

Many topics here and there pointing to the fact that this particular vehicule is so modeled that it is impervious to more things than a regular AFV.

They must have a strong Survivor trait or it's a case of DoSomefink.

You'll find a huge support group here with people having shelled, gunned and more generally abused those Flak trucks to no avail.

Fight Club was written after a CM game against those...

------------------

You are not Obsessive-CMpulsive, you are Allied-Retentive.

Mark IV

The funny thing is that I do not think AA vehicles are too resistant to other types of small arms - they die quite nicely with mgs, med. range inf fire etc. It is just sharpshooters they are resistant to =) And of course anything over and including 20mm with small blast value.. Could it be that sharpshooter just has a really low FP rating which is then used vs vehicles?

Topi

Having recently just come across them in 2 separete PBEM games, the things are unholy hard to kill for something that is supposedly "unarmored". In one PBEM game it drove aroundd off my flank where I had an .50 and a Baz team just in case, and the SdKfz 7/2 just beat the daylights out of them for two turns and drove off. Range was less than 200 yds, the .50 fired several bursts, the baz team shot off it's ammo load, and the flak truck just laughed it off. Thought it was just one of those wierd things, but if others are/have noticed it... well is it a secret weapon?

Bad luck as to the .50 and baz (What are you doing letting that man fire at 200m?!?!). I don't know about the sharpshooter but the Sd/Kfz is taken out quite easily via small arms and especially Ma Deuce.

------------------

Fionn has his rule of 76, I have mine. Mine is much simpler, I get to buy whatever I want ... you get 76 points.

-Joe Shaw

Sharpsooters in CM are effective only against open vehicles or un-buttoned vehicles. (the maual says so) The 37mm flak does have a visible person outside of the vehicle, but from what I have seen the crew seems to be enclosed within the vehicle for targeting purposes (in other words it is constantly buttoned)

Flak vehicles being treated as buttoned would otherwise explain this, but those sharpshooters will target and shoot at them without any targeting order from player, so apparently tacAI thinks that sharpshooters can hurt flak vehicles.

For example Chamberlain's excellent "Encyclopedia of german tanks of WW2" shows some pictures of these flak vehicles and gun crew has quite limited protection, basicly only the gun's shield. So I would be a bit surprised if they are meant to be treated as buttoned.

Topi

Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

Bad luck as to the .50 and baz (What are you doing letting that man fire at 200m?!?!). I don't know about the sharpshooter but the Sd/Kfz is taken out quite easily via small arms and especially Ma Deuce.

The .50 had a ambush set at about 140 yds, just on the near side of a small hill crest, the baz team had an ambush marker set at about 80 yds. but the baz team just decided to join the fun once the flak wagon opened up on the .50