What's better?

I had my 1st live match Saturday.

I was playing Axis and I had my a$# handed to me.

It was mostly my opponents use of artillary.

Now I have a few questions for all you veterans.

What's better? Allied or Axis.

Personally I don't see much of a difference. Axis armor goes *poof* just as easily as any allied stuff (except for the Tiger and Panther) (but then you have the allied Firefly...nasty tank).

Axis units have more FP, but Allied units have more men in squads.

And allied artillary...jeez Does any Axis stuff compare?

And I haven't played the Allies yet, but I'm sure that their unit point cost is lower.

Also, does anyone know of a list for all the unit's info including their price? Maybe in an Excel or Access file?

Man I wish I had more time for this game. :(

Das Baron

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DasBaron:

Also, does anyone know of a list for all the unit's info including their price? Maybe in an Excel or Access file?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris' CM Database

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and note the instructions. It should provide most of the information you're looking for.

You can say what you want but I believe the Axis are cheaper for just about everything. I did say "just about". Anyway, I can buy a lot more for the same amount of money than buying American's stuff and since both are about equal in fighting ability you are better off going with the German's. Now I know some will disagree but before you do please back up your statements with some facts. I have already done a check and can prove my point but it's a lot of trouble since I don't know how to copy things and paste them and what all. I would have to type everything out and I'm not going to do that- so there! :D

I agree. I think the Germs are better. It's more of a challenge to play with Allies and that's fine if you're not playing ladder games but if you are then I always seem to want Germans. With Allies, you almost have to rely on avoiding the big German tanks or purchase your units with a plan to flank your German opponent without even being able to see the map beforehand, praying to God that you'll have a safe route to the envelopment.

And if the heavy armor doesn't scare you, the SMG squads will. The fact that they are so much more effective from inside 100 meters makes me increasingly more frustrated at the decision of Steve and the rest of BTS to model it this way.

If the game is supposed to be more of a simulation than a game, then BTS should've let us choose our own points in QB's to even things out. As it is right now, we are given an option to use the "handicap" feature which gives a minimum 10% advantage to one side. It's unclear as to whether this affects the total score or not so I think people are hesistant to use this.

We need to be able to add on points by 10's or something, not 10 percent. If you're gonna stick with percent, then make it incremental by 5. Do you hear me BTS? Smaller increments are needed for handicap option!

Thanks gentlemen. I downloaded Chris's Excel sheet and been going over it for the last couple of hours.

As far as I can tell:

Allied: better artillary

American: Overall better tanks

German: Better infantry and support weapons

German: better uniforms smile.gif

Thanks for the info guys. Fight well!

Overall better tanks for the Americans? But what about the uparmoured Churchill, the closest thing that the Allies have to an ueberpanzer? Or the Archer, which is oodles cheaper than a Firefly, and much more effective on the defense?

Don't forget the 6pdrs either, which are more than powerful enough to kill Tigers and Panthers over the frontal arc if they have tungsten (and they always do.)

When I play Allies, I do my best to play British pattern troops.

Boy I really don't see that the American's had better tanks? But your call. Here try this out. Make a map and pick 10 German tanks and then 10 American tanks and let them go at it. I bet the German's come out on top. Now don't go and use the worst German ones against the jumbo's or something but go by price and see what happens. I did and the American's got knocked out everytime. Now if you are going to use jumbo's and Pershings everytime then it's a different story but look at the prices on them compared to the German's and then they can still come out good unless the American's get lucky. Anyway that's how I see it. I still play the American's myself every time but I am learning how to use the crap we called tanks - very carefully and close up only. Get any distance and the German's will eat your lunch. ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

Boy I really don't see that the American's had better tanks? But your call. Here try this out. Make a map and pick 10 German tanks and then 10 American tanks and let them go at it. I bet the German's come out on top. Now don't go and use the worst German ones against the jumbo's or something but go by price and see what happens. I did and the American's got knocked out everytime. Now if you are going to use jumbo's and Pershings everytime then it's a different story but look at the prices on them compared to the German's and then they can still come out good unless the American's get lucky. Anyway that's how I see it. I still play the American's myself every time but I am learning how to use the crap we called tanks - very carefully and close up only. Get any distance and the German's will eat your lunch. ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have yet to play with any of the Allied big tanks. Are they worth their price compared to German heavies of the same price?

DasBaron, I was the one that played you twice last Saturday. As for Axis vs Allied?

I feel that each side has advantages depending on the map and weather conditions.

Just about all Axis units are cheaper except for artillery and armored scout cars. The biggest allied advantage is artillery. VT artillery and british 3inch mortars are incredible. With 3in mortars you can kill hetzers and other tanks with less than 20mm of top armor. VT is so deadly that you only need a few rounds per turn to break troops.

British tanks and vehicles are by far the best of the allies. Sexton with 90+ HE ammo, Churchill tank, Cromwell IV(40mph), Wasp, and of course the Diamler AC(great for killing PZIVs from the front while on the run)

I play the allies mostly for the challenge, but when I am in a "gamey" mood i'll play axis and buy all the fun units.