FO\FOO tanks

I know I should probable just do a search on this…perhaps it has been discussed before. I was wondering why FO\FOO tanks were not included in CM? Employment of forward observer tanks was fairly common practice in all the Commonwealth Armies, as well as the US ARMY, and German Army.

Thanks for any replies.

yeah they'd have to model the extra aerials for the vehicle's radio sets etc. Also these tanks were prime targets because of all the antennae sticking up on them, IIRC. Some had special antennae built around the superstructure. Would have been neat to see in CM , maybe CM2?

Since many times the vehicle was lefy behind with an operator, (say behind a building) while the FOO went forward with his gunner and a drum of phone cable, I guess BTS figured there wasn't much to be gained from putting hte effort in to model the vehicle

a) because it may or may not be there (depending on the situation, the FOO, etc etc).

B) because your prime goal with it is to hide it and let noone see it.

Perhaps would be nice to have it, but not as nice as many other things CM does smile.gif

PeterNZ

------------------

"What do I care, I got laid last week" - Chupacabra

"Bjorn again are really quite good!" - Germanboy

- Official owner of the sig files of Dalem and Croda -

Simple solution: buy the FO and buy an empty vehicle for him to get him mobile. A half-track will give him some armor protection. A jeep or kubelwagen will give him some speed. A tank will give him some direct fire capability. If you can afford the points to give him a full game tank rather than just an quick ride and drop off, that's your choice. I don't think there's any way to get him inside the tank.

------------------

Airborne Combat Engineer Troop Leader (1966-1968)

Guest Andrew Hedges

I don't think I'd want to use a FO vehicle if one were available. My FOs usually (not always, but usually) survive until they've run out of fire missions. My tanks generally don't survive until the end of the game, much less until they've used up all their ammo. I'd keep the FOs on foot.

Can FO's spot from HTs? If so, perhaps you could put one in a Ram to simulate a FO vehicle; that's a much safer platform than a HT.

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

I don't think I'd want to use a FO vehicle if one were available. My FOs usually (not always, but usually) survive until they've run out of fire missions. My tanks generally don't survive until the end of the game, much less until they've used up all their ammo. I'd keep the FOs on foot.

Can FO's spot from HTs? If so, perhaps you could put one in a Ram to simulate a FO vehicle; that's a much safer platform than a HT.

They won't spot from jeeps, I've tried it. I think they have to dismount to spot, so the kind of vehicle is moot.

And since you can't get them inside the tank, there is no point, from what I can tell, in using one simply as transport for him.