I used to be able to see thru hills, but doesn't happen now?

I remember one PBEM game I had in 1.05, where my mortar crews were firing on the enemy, by way of the platoon HQ telling themk what to fire at. The mortars had no LOS of their own, it being blocked by a hill, and so the HQ was the key to this.

But now, my arty spotters and mortars are not firing with the aid of HQs. So when an HQ is in command of these units, the units under command do not gain any extra LOS.

So what is wrong with the Beta - or more likely - what am I doing wrong??

Bates, your HQs should never have given any spotting assistance to arty FOs. The game never had this feature. However, HQs can and always have been able to spot for on-board mortars. A mortar can area target any spot on the map (within range) that can be seen by the HQ, as long as the mortar is under the command of that HQ. As Maximus said, sometimes a different HQ than you thought has command of the mortar. When you draw the target line from a mortar the text will either read "target out of sight" (or somefink like that), or it will read "area target." If it says "area target" then the commanding HQ has LOS to that spot.