WW II Battle Resource

Hi,

I'm looking for a nice overview book with lots of ideas for scenarios. I've been looking around and the unit history books seem to have some battle information in them, but I'm really looking for something a little more general.

If you have any suggestions for good books with battles and descriptions in them I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

medlinke

------------------

------------------------

Quick Battle League Play 2001 SeriesLeagues are forming now!

Hi,

“lots of ideas for scenarios.”

If that’s what you are after and the Battle of the Bulge interests you, which it probably does most CM players, then I have just “the” source for you.

The Order of Battle Series, produced by Osprey Publishing. Eventually there will be six books, each 96 pages long, covering the Bulge. Currently four of the books are out. All are written by Bruce Quarrie.

Normally Osprey books do not interest me but for this series they have changed gear and done a great job. The series covers the entire battle engagement by engagement. The scale is company/battalion/regiment level battles, just CM scale. There is idea after idea, and map after map, that could easily be turned into a CM scenario. You will be spoilt for choice.

There are other books such as the Then and Now book Battle of the Bulge, which can be good sources for “some” engagements. (If ever you do your own battlefield tour of the area it is a great book.) And for those battles it does cover goes into more detail than the Osprey books. As serious personal and military narratives the Charles MacDonald books are, of course, better. But as a source for scenarios when what you are a after is the units involved, the place, the time and a factual account of what happened together with a map, the Order of Battle books are for you.

All the best,

Kip.

Thanks for the tip! I bought the two Northern Sector books (I & II) and if they are good will probably complete the set.

I hope they do this for more campaigns (ie Lorraine, Monte Cassino, Kursk, etc)

In any case,

I'm looking for a nice overview of the German OOB that can place the units (ie. what Front and where) I think it might be a nice resource. Nafizger has a book but from what I can tell it talks about the units in isolation of their chain of command AND where they fought...So that's pretty much useless without another source...

------------------

------------------------

Quick Battle League Play 2001 SeriesLeagues are forming now!