Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

OT - Cheap Voodoo cards

I know the relative strengths of voodoo and geeforce cards have been well discused recently, but I'd like to say to anyone with an older video card now might be the time to upgrade. I've just got a voodoo 5 to replace my existing voodoo 3 and there's a marked increase in performance, I can't quote any figures but scenario's which used to lurch now fly along.Best of all voodoo 5's are now pretty cheap , I paid £99 (G.B) well worth the money.

Hi DraGoon

I got my card from my local 'Game' shop- www.game-retail.co.uk I think they are owned by electronics boutique so they might also be worth a try. Best not take too long as I think they have dropped the prices to get rid of stock. The new card really zips along even with large battle's and many mods. The only downside is that now the mouse leaves small squares on the menu screens,that small niggle aside I'm very happy.

Cheers

Steve P.

Voodoo (and all other 3dfx) cards have one major problem: 3dfx is now defunct. So, no new drivers and no tech support awaits those brave enough to buy in now.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

You're right that 3dfx will/has stopped trading, but at this price, I think that it's worth the risk. Also my pc has'nt got an AGP slot and I havent seen any Geforce cards with a PCI slot. I blame spock for persuading me to buy a TIME machine !

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve P:

I got my card from my local 'Game' shop- www.game-retail.co.uk I think they are owned by electronics boutique so they might also be worth a try.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers, I'll try EB.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

Voodoo (and all other 3dfx) cards have one major problem: 3dfx is now defunct. So, no new drivers and no tech support awaits those brave enough to buy in now.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, yes you're right, I'm aware of the 3dfx situation. I have a Geforce 2 in my main system but I want to grab a Voodoo 5 for another for comparative purposes.

New buyers should definately beware.

Thanks for your replies guys.

DG

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought GeForce has brought 3dFX in which case they will be dealing with new and better drivers, or am I mistaken?

nVidia WILL NOT provide suport to Voodoo cards. Right now they are doing everything to stop sales of these cards. I am sure you heard they asked big online retailers like BestBuy to remove V3 and V5 from their stores.

If you play only CM, sure existing drivers will make it work, but no one guarantees that CM2 will work on it. And if you buy new games in the near future - a lot of them won't work properly on V3/V5.

Right now GeForce 2 GTS is going down in price. And unless you have 1+Ghz CPU - still you can't fully appreciate its potentials.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dima:

nVidia WILL NOT provide suport to Voodoo cards. Right now they are doing everything to stop sales of these cards. I am sure you heard they asked big online retailers like BestBuy to remove V3 and V5 from their stores.

If you play only CM, sure existing drivers will make it work, but no one guarantees that CM2 will work on it. And if you buy new games in the near future - a lot of them won't work properly on V3/V5.

Right now GeForce 2 GTS is going down in price. And unless you have 1+Ghz CPU - still you can't fully appreciate its potentials.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Voodoo 3500TV and need to upgrade. Will the performance increase justify getting a GeForce2MX or should I hold out for one of the bigger boys. If a GEForce2MX is the answer, which one?