volksgrenadiers and fusiliers

the backbone of any force in this game comes down to the ground pounders IMO. they are the ones who rush the building and really HOLD the ground. everything else is there to support them, protect other supporting elements, and destroy the other sides infantry and support. IMO, that the essense of the game.

so purchasing the infantry is a key to this game; which to buy for what situation and circumstance. the allied choice on infantry is VERY narrow; its usually either a rifle squad or glider troops (to represent more SMG in a platoon). any fool to CM atleast knows that their is a plethera of choices for the germans.

but how do the volksgrenadier and fusilier platoons fit in? just for your info, they cost respectively 93 and 97 points.

in reality, the volksgrenadier (which in german means "peoples infantry") were really normal troops with a little better weapons and a different name. midwar they changed the name to boost morale by giving them a feeling more of they are fighting for their country. the fusilier units were a mid war replacement to the divisional recon battalion, and they had limited recon abilities.

but this is my point, why are they so stinking cheap? they have almost ALL SMG in their squad, and numerous LMG's. they pack quite a HUGE punch at normal infantry ranges (IMO that is from 40-120m, ill never shoot further than that with my squads; that work is for the HMG's), and cost so stinking cheap for it.

the reason i wanted to bring this up is because if they are used correctly, it almost leaves no reason to buy other platoons that cost more for less. the game represents the "normal" german squad with the rifle squads. but why buy these when for less (~10 points less) you can get better packed troops!

THIS IS NOT ANOTHER GAMEY BASH THREAD, i just want to know if that point value is balanced with the other units, and should we try to balance the german troops a little more realisticly? (once i finally identify my PBEM opponets forces, they always seem to be either one of these and vetern troops)

Not to belabor the obvious, but VG squads have fewer men per squad and need to get close to be effective. If you're always playing games with "moderate" or better tree coverage and/or significant hills, then the short range of their firepower doesn't pose an issue. But try to cross 250 meters of open ground, when the VG squads are getting hammered and can't effectively fire back, and things are a little different. Likewise, on defense, German squads with 2 LMGs (like motorized panzer grenadiers) will start pounding attacking infantry 250 meters out and keep pounding them all the way in.

It really comes down to terrain, your personal playing preferences and your tactical deployment of the different squad types.

I will agree with you that the standard Rifle squads, while historically accurate, are the least effective and the last kind of infantry that I buy. smile.gif

The SMG squad issues have been discussed ad naseum with point totals taken into acount. BTS said they will be addressing the point issues with a rarity factor for CMBB plus a couple of changes, including upmodeling machine guns making the SMG charges less effective. I remeber the other changes offhand but they might be listed in the CM2 FAQ that bumps along on this forum.