I've been checking out the grass mods and...

Is anyone using Old Dog's Subdued grass? High or low res.?

I've just about worn out my hard drive trying to determine which grass is the best for me. I think I'm down to three choices:

In no particular order:

- DD's high res.

- Wolf's high res.

- Old Dog's Subdued Velvet grass, high res.

Of course this is a matter of taste but I'd still like to hear about your favorite. Everyone knows DD's grass is excellent, and Wolf's is perfect for tactical sighting, but I haven't heard much about Old Dog's Subdued grass. Looks right nice to me, and works very well with DD's trees (best trees, IMO). I keep coming back to it but wonder why I haven't read more about it on this forum.

I'd like to hear your pros and cons of those listed above.

Thanks,

Mudfrost

I've been trying out different mods like crazy, but have finally come home to the original CM grass with the subdued grid overlay. For me, this combination is absolutely the best for discerning elevation. At the moment I'm still running DD's trees and tree bases (a real work of art) but they don't mesh all that well with the CM grass.

------------------

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

-Bertrand Russell

Well here's a take from an expert. smile.gif

I have used both, DD's grass and Old Dog's subdued Velvet grass. DD's grass is too uniform in shade. ie. You can't discern elevations from it readily. Old Dog's Velevet Grass has nice elevation color differences. I have went back to Old Dog's as I think it looks best.

I also used DD's trees and tree bases. Hell why use anything else? Anything else-and you're going backwords in eye candy.

Maximus,

I agree. As much as I like DD's grass, I too think it's a bit too uniform in its shading. I like to see depth in the grass, and that's what brings me back to Old Dog's. It's got depth while retaining its tactical value.

Monte,

I haven't yet tried the grid overlays, simply because I don't want to detract from the beauty of CM's landscape. Shallow, maybe. I'm sure I'll get around to it though.

Thanks for your input.

Mudfrost

As a point of clarification, DD's grass is higher resolution (768k per texture file) than Wolf's grass sets (193k), while Old Dog has both hi-res and lo-res versions.

Wolf provides a choice between "high contrast" and "low contrast", which isn't the same as resolution. His "high contrast" is for those who want greater variation due to elevation, but I think the higher elevation grasses seem a bit more gray than green. Of Wolf's grasses, I would recommend the low-contrast set.

DD's hi-res grass has great texture to it, but seems a bit "burnt" to me or not enough green. This makes a good "winter grass", but less appropriate for summer scenarios. And again, recalling what you described earlier about your computer specs, Mudfrost, the grass by DD will definitely give you slowdowns.

I really like the "texture" to the "Velvet Touch" grass originally by Richard Tremblett, but overall, the original seemed a bit luminous, as with the original BTS grass. The revised Velvet Touch grass by Old Dog (I've tired only the lo-res) helps to address this, but.....it's also a little too dark for me at the lower elevation levels.

Choosing between the three, I would defer to Old Dog's. But I personally use instead a version of the Velvet grass that I've modified in turn (at 193K per file). The colors are desaturated a bit so to look less "luminous" while brightness was raised a bit to compensate.

If you're so inclined, I can e-mail this to you.

[This message has been edited by Spook (edited 01-10-2001).]

Guest Lord General MB

Soldier,

I use DD's grass, But I dislike his tree bases. and trees. Too dark and not very well done. I use his wood's (tree bases) as rough. I Gunslingers trees, but I added the gras from DD's mods to all the trees. look very pretty. I use his hedges and his water...but I like the Cm origanal water better. I use Panzertrouppen buildings (though Magaus are also very nice).

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

Some excellent points and ideas there! Thanks.

I am using Panzertruppen's buildings--beautiful. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one leaning toward Old Dog's grass. So far, I just find it the most effective all around.

I haven't tried Gunslinger's trees. I'll give them a shot.

Spook, I'd love to try out your modified version of Old Dog's grass. I think you and I are on the same wavelength. I'll gladly accept your offer.

At your leisure, send off a batch to this address:

Mudfrost@home.com

I appreciate it and I'll let you know how it works out.

All best,

Mudfrost

guys my reasoning behind grass's lack of elevation is that grass doesnt change color with elevation...or if it does it slightly...color differene to show hight ...imo....!!! is a purely a tactical feature ....thats my two cents..........and im working on a new grass as we speak...im gonna chase the holy grail of grass mods till im happy with the look and feel of it...any way im rambling on like a fool so ill end this.

------------------

MAKE IT SHORT AND SWEET THEN GET THE F#$K OUT