FO Behavior

This is an old one.. but I couldn't easily find a thread about it.

I'm wondering what the logic is behind having an FO who has become shaken due to enemy fire will automatically stop his fire mission?

If the battery doesn't receive commands from him, AFTER the mission is ordered, it will keep pounding happily away, right? I can see why a new fire mission or adjustment would be a problem.. but I don't understand why they simply stop firing if shaken currently.

Originally posted by SenorBeef:

This is an old one.. but I couldn't easily find a thread about it.

I'm wondering what the logic is behind having an FO who has become shaken due to enemy fire will automatically stop his fire mission?

If the battery doesn't receive commands from him, AFTER the mission is ordered, it will keep pounding happily away, right? I can see why a new fire mission or adjustment would be a problem.. but I don't understand why they simply stop firing if shaken currently.

I don't know call for fire for WWII but today, they would continue the "fire for effect" but would not continue unless they got a "repeate" or "adjust" call. In effect, they would stop if nothing else came over the radio.

The reason is that unlike real life, CM FOs don't specify the number of rounds of FFE in advance. Instead, CM FFE keeps going until you tell it to stop. Unfortunately with this system, if your FO freaks or dies while FFE is going, you'd shoot off all your ammo unless CM had the FFE stop automatically upon such events.

Hopefully, in some future version of CM, things will be as in real life, where the FO specifies a number of rounds of FFE in advance. Under this system, the FFE will continue until all these rounds are fired even if the FO dies, unless you tell it to stop sooner.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

FOs in any case are abstractions. While German military used FOs from batteries to call in fire, the US had a system that allowed fire to be called by any radio equipped unit -- meaning platoon HQ or higher or tanks. The system was not perfected until Vietnam, but it allowed a single infantry person to call in any form of artillery from any gun in range, assuming the artillery direction center for his regiment / division felt the fire was important enough. Som artillery organic to lower units like 81mm mortars did not work this way, and the largest fires could only be called by a higher echelon commander, but the artillery motto was "any gun in range to any call".

Originally posted by Slapdragon:

FOs in any case are abstractions. While German military used FOs from batteries to call in fire, the US had a system that allowed fire to be called by any radio equipped unit ...

I think the US term is to request fire missions.

This meant that they specified what they wanted and why, then some arty coordiation staff would grant them something (or not), based on what was available at the time and the urgency of the mission.

So a US unit could request fire from a 155mm howitzer battalion and recieve fire from one 105mm battery. Of course even the opposite happened, in rare occations, like when some FO requested the battalion 81mm mortar battery to target a French village, but got a six howitzer battalions TOT mission...

Flexible but uncertain.

If the German FOs were tied to a specific battery, then that would mean quick response but difficult to coordinate larger fire missions.

AFAIK, The Brits had a system where the FOs recieved access to a specific arty unit based on the mission of which the FOs were part. "Today you have this battery at your disposal, tomorrow you'll have this AGRA."

This way they'd always know what they had and what they'd get, with the possibility to set up large fire missions.

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

Detta har kånntrollerats av Majkråsofft späll-tjäcker.