Scenario Guide for Newbies

Sort of like the "programmed instruction" of the old Squad Leader series?

Really, the best way is just to be very familiar with the guidebook - it has all of the keys to the interface. Play the training scenarios. Then maybe stick to a few of the smaller scenarios, or a few 500-800 point QBs.

The thing is this: the interface and operation of the game is really pretty easy, once you have run a few scenarios. On the other hand, tactics take a while to learn, and you just get beat a lot (yes, even by the computer) before you begin to get an understanding of good, effective tactics. I don't think many people just naturally know tactics - I certainly did not.

------------------

Capt. Byron Crank, US Army

Ok, so I found Graftenwohl, and Small Gain (and Tutorial obviously).

Any others anyone would reccomend (I've won Chance Encounter (both sides) with some advice, not so good with Valley of Trouble from the demo...)

The thing I'm weak on is units and what they can do, I'm a computer gamer, not a wargamer, so I have no idea what the difference is between a Sherman HY6n3 and a Sherman MBQ4 tank is.

Pierce

It's a shameless plug i know....but you can find out what some of the units/vehicles strengths and weaknesses are at the site below. It has been compiled using feedback from forum members and gives a good insight into unit tactics. Look under ARMOUR on the site.

Also there is a new series of tactical articles (by Gremlin) on the site that are primarily aimed at rookie players. They are well written and easy to follow and serve as a good primer for anyone new to CMBO. Look under BOOT CAMP on the site.

End of Plug! biggrin.gif

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - Resources For Combat Mission

Let me recommend a few for you, Pierce.

For an intro to in-city fighting on a low level, try Aachen.

For an intro to outdoor fighting, give Wiltz a try.

For a nice little tank battle, I'll send you With tanks only, I'm sending two directly two you. One of them is only now about to be posted for public consumption so you get to be first.

Maastricht - Tanks Only

Elsdorf-The Encounter - tanks only

Enjoy. These should get you into the details of the game. Let me know if they help please.

Wild Bill