Why don't British vehicles have markings?

I just noticed something last night. I was looking at the British vehicles and noticed that they don't have markings like the other country's. Is there a reason for this? Seems odd to me so thought I'd ask. Anyone care to comment and explain.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

I just noticed something last night. I was looking at the British vehicles and noticed that they don't have markings like the other country's. Is there a reason for this? Seems odd to me so thought I'd ask. Anyone care to comment and explain.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, did you ever get Marco's Commonwealth Shermans? They have markings.

However, Marco is doing some revisions on them to bring them up to date with the Sherman II that came with the Full US Sherman pack.

He's sent out the UK versions to us beta testers, we're still waiting for the CA and PO versions.

Also Gordon is going to have to redo the Camo versions.

Once these revisions are done, then it's on to the M24 Chaffee. At least that's the current plan, although I'd like to see him do the M10, M36, Wolverine, and Achilles TDs.

Sorry I didn't explain myself. The US has a white star, the German's have a white or black cross, the Canadian's have the leaf, the French have their flag colors, etc but the British don't have anything. I know they have numbers markings for units and such but no country emblem.

Canadians do NOT have a leaf.

All Allied vehicles used the white aerial recognition star; the stock artwork in the game does not have these. Visit my British and Canadian sites below for some mods that feature British vehicle markings. More mods to come this weekend if I get the time to post them, including Marco's Shermans and Matthew's Universal carrier. If I can sort out the stuff in my inbox!

Incidentally - the British in Italy used the red/white/red recognition flash, and in the desert used white/red/white. I believe there are mods out there with these flashes.

Michael Dorosh. I did have a look at your site and found the mods but if that's not a leaf of some kind then what is it? Not trying to be smart just don't know and now I really am interested in knowing what it is. So what is it ? I would look it up instead of taking a chance in upsetting anybody but that could take days for me. And by the way I did read the history of the Canadian army while there. Very interesting. I truely enjoyed it. Good site I marked it and after getting finished typing this am going back to look some more. Thanks.

I just noticed something last night. I was looking at the British vehicles and noticed that they don't have markings like the other country's. Is there a reason for this? Seems odd to me so thought I'd ask. Anyone care to comment and explain.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean like a bull's-eye? tongue.gif

Sorry just trying to get Michael's attention to answer my question on is it a leaf or is it not a leaf?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might email me if you REALLY want my attention since I'm not on the forum 24/7...

;)

Yes, the brigade and divisional markings had a maple leaf, but the national identification markings for Canadian vehicles in Italy and NW Europe were the standard white five pointed star.

Thanks for the comments on the site(s).

And yes, these stars made great bullseyes, which is why they were often removed or subdued.

Thanks for the info Michael and yes email would be good. Never thought of that. You learn something new everyday. I thought that the white star was the National emblem for the US only and that the white star with a circle around it was used by all Allies. So Canada used just the white star also. I never noticed but will be from now on. Again thanks for the reply. I did go back and look at the site in more detail by the way. Yeah it's pretty interesting. Learned a few things.

...I thought that the white star was the National emblem for the US only and that the white star with a circle around it was used by all Allies. So Canada used just the white star also. I never noticed but will be from now on. Again thanks for the reply. I did go back and look at the site in more detail by the way. Yeah it's pretty interesting. Learned a few things.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because Michael has been VERY helpful to me with the markings I have put on my British and Canadian vehicle mods (not that I am in any way suggesting that you should get those mods), you will find that there ARE markings on some Commonwealth vehicles. Michael's site is an excellent source of information in this regard. The interesting fact that some Canadian's painted the Allied white recognition star on their vehicles upside down or crooked is something that I have incorporated in both my Sexton and Universal Carrier mods. If it hadn't been for Michael, and others pointing me to his site, I probably wouldn't have known about this.

Just a shameless plug for both of his sites.... especially the pages covering the unit markings, etc. Invaluable....

Regards,

MSP