Red and White Pole Mystery Question

In a conversation with Tiger about the red and white poles attached to the rear of the MarderIII on the BTS 3726.bmp file, I began to search for authentication from a real photo. I couldn't find one, and was ready to conclude it was an anomaly of some sort, or it represented the company barber shop.

Then, Tiger came up with a photo of a battery of Hummels in the field that clearly show a triple bar section of red and white poles attached to the rear hull just beneath the access doors and just as BTS had placed them on the MarderIII.

This weeks mystery question then and a chance to enlighten dumb ole Bruno is, what the devil are the red and white poles for that are visible in some photo's as attached to some of the German SP unit rear hulls and as portrayed in the 3726.bmp file?

(Tiger, if you would be so kind to post that Hummel pic in here so ever one can see or send it to me and I'll post it off my server, I accidentally deleted it). Thanks.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 02-24-2001).]

Guest Germanboy

Ranging sticks? Used to set ambushes maybe? In the case of the Hummel, I'd venture to guess they are for trigonometric measuring of the firing positions. Have a picture of my grandfather's unit doing just that in pre-war training.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Aiming stakes used to lay the guns in a battery formation. Used in conjunction with a compass to align the guns so the Fire Direction Center can give elevation and deflection data to the battery or section to allow for standard spread patterns (every gun fires on the same azimuth) or convergence where each gun gets a different azimuth in the hopes that round from each gun will land at the same spot for engaging point targets.

Well I'll be. I never really noticed these on historical pics before, or the many Squadron Signal publications I have and could not for the life of me figure out what they were for. (Hehe, I was in the Signal Corp so all our teletypes were aligned side by side smile.gif )

Thanks for the explanation, yet another mystery solved by the BTS forum.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 02-24-2001).]

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Kurtz:

The M18 Hellcat is also equipped with these devices, so is the Jagdtiger. Were these vehicles used for indirect fire?

I believe for the TDs it is for measuring ambush ranges in prepared positions. Althought the US TDs were certainly used for indirect fire as well.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

The red and white polls on the rear of the Marder III are i think a compromise on BTS's behalf.....that rear teaxture is also shared by the Wespe which had the polls for alinging their field's of fire when setting up battery fire positions, really wish BTS might find the time in CM2 to allow us have the accurate version ( visually wise ) of the Marder III M.

I have not yet seen a photo of the Marder with those polls stored on the rear...mb i aint got the book yet smile.gif

Regards

Måkjager

------------------

Once an Ubërcabbage

Always an Ubërcabbage