Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

BTS: Viewpoint limitations for Future products

BTS

In a recent thread the issue of players gamily abusing the camera view the game provides came up. While this isnt a new issue, people have posted about limiting intel in areas of the map not under friendly observation, I think there could be a good OPTIONAL battlefield intel limitation put into CMBB.

What I have in mind is the level1 and level2 viewpoint being limited to areas ONLY over friendly troops. Being directly over (TAB) a friendly unit allows you to see at that units levels if you wish.

A gamey tactic, in my opinion, is to go to enemy terrain, after highlighting your friendly unit, and viewing what can be seen from that terrain at these low levels.

The main gamey advantage is that you can SEE THROUGH OBSCURING TERRAIN, what can and cannot be seen remotely and the position of your out-of-sight unit in relation to this. You will see the highlighted units rectangle through a mountain for example. This subtle little advantage can be worked by the "takes-a few-days-to make-a-move" player to great advantage. Dont believe it? Try it then. After awhile, you can skirt most areas so that you limit the firepower you have to face.

Example: Select a friendly unit, give it a move order. Go to a remote location (out-of-los of the unit) and see where the friendly unit is (by the outlined rectangle) and wher the move order line is. After awhile its a breeze.

The game, in my opinion, favors the attacker through many abstractions that have been discussed in the past. The remote viewpoint abused by the player can be easily remedied by limiting these down in the weeds viewpoints.

I used to think that the lowest level was level zero, btw (being EE you count from zero), but I think that level 1 and level 2 should be limited.

Granted its saturday and the chance of BTS answering this is remote itself, I wonder what other people think about these OPTIONAL suggestions?

Lewis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Username:

I wonder what other people think about these OPTIONAL suggestions?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I proposed the same thing 2 years ago ;)

Particularly, I suggested that the camera should automatically float higher when the distance to the closest friendly unit increases. This way, when you select view 1 and scroll around on the battlefield the viewpoint would flow up and down as friendly units are passed by. I even made a drawing back in 1999 but I am too bored to upload it again.

Regards, Thomm

At the least, BTS should eliminate the visable highlighted rectangle through the terrain.

On the "Float":

I cant imagine this being a very_difficult_to_code feature (and to make optional) for hardcore players. It would certainly offset the omni-map info presented to the player. Having the float go up to level 2 might be worthwhile. Supposedly texture mods can make a big difference when toading around enemy territory.

Any BTS feedback on this?

Lewis

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: Username ]