Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

German Tank Losses In Normandy

Since the Allied analysis is based on German tanks found in field, maybe more PzKpfw IV were removed from field by Germans to go again, while Panthers and Tigers were more difficult to pull back after K-O?

Ditto for StuG III and IV.

PzKpfw IV certainly seems more likely to be pulled out of exposed positions after penetration than a Tiger. Although penetration of PzKpfw IV might be more damaging.

However, penetration of those 30mm sides might allow Sherman rounds to go completely thru the tank before the HE burster kicks in.

Would a higher percentage of Knocked-Out Panthers and Tigers be found in field by Allies, compared to PzKpfw IV and StuG?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vitalis:

Man, I really feel bad for the bad rep that the Pz IV gets. It was the backbone of the Panzer tank regiments, carried the burden for years (not enough Tigers to go around and the Panther had some early teething problems). The Panther was the only tank in German service to begin knocking the mighty Pz IV from its seat.

It just gets over shadowed by its Big Cat brothers. The L/48 75mm was equal to what the Soviets and the Americans had, its armor was equal or better than the Sherman and equal to the T-34.

It just wasn't better than those two tanks and didn't get the fame..... :(

But it was the hard-core grunt that got the job done.

Anyway, enough sobbing over my favorite tank. I must be the ONLY German armor fan that likes the Pz IV-H better than the Panther and Tiger series. Oh, and don't even get me started on the King Tiger, I hate those damn things tongue.gif

Sorry bout the rant :D

Vitalis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry. Come CM2, those PzKpfw IV's and their 75mm's will be the saviors, especially early on. Those T-34's are gonna be nasty.

Still like my Big Cats though. I can already see some operations simulating Wittman's rise to fame on the Ostfront, possibly his early days starting in a StugIIIb?

[ 04-13-2001: Message edited by: Warmaker ]