Can we have a sand tile pleeese?

I have been doing maps recently and have just begun a beach one(loads of attackers in boats, dug in defenders). Unfortunately the only tile that looks like sand is in fact grain and I believe this gives increased cover and so is unsuitable. For the sake of sense I have put small ridges in the sand(not exactly right but what canya do!). So pleeeese can we have a sand tile.

P.S.Waves and boats look surprisingly good!

Wait for the desert mod, at http://WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK/ It's coming soon.

In the meantime, rough makes a really nice beach. It looks just like rocks, cobbles, and a little seaweed.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

It's almost upon us!

A few more bits and bytes to go, Andy, and the Desert Fox-Desert Rats conversion will be ready. It'll provide you not only with sand textures, but a complete summer texture conversion. As well as desert camo vehicles, .wav replacements, an interface conversion, appropriately outfitted soldiers, and a number of scenarios and operations.

To see some screens, go to Manx's site: http://www.combatmissions.co.uk

or the ASL 4 CM site: http://w1.312.telia.com/~u31213280/index.htm

Clubfoot.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clubfoot:

It's almost upon us!

A few more bits and bytes to go, Andy, and the Desert Fox-Desert Rats conversion will be ready. It'll provide you not only with sand textures, but a complete summer texture conversion. As well as desert camo vehicles, .wav replacements, an interface conversion, appropriately outfitted soldiers, and a number of scenarios and operations.

To see some screens, go to Manx's site: http://www.combatmissions.co.uk

or the ASL 4 CM site: http://w1.312.telia.com/~u31213280/index.htm

Clubfoot.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Desert stuff looks truly impressive - question however - will new vehicles (ie Grant, Lee, etc.) from that time period be used, or simply cosmetically altered vehicles from the current CM?

Will this be available free, or do we have to purchase a CD to obtain these mods?

Michael,

The mod will be available for download for free. Although we strive to reproduce the "feel" of combat in the African theater, we are unable to include any units not already coded in CM. Where possible, already existing AFV's will be changed cosmetically to produce a passable likeness of a different AFV with similar characteristics. But only if the change isn't a "dealbreaker" i.e. difference in size of main gun, passenger complement, or drastically different armor.

We realize and have acknowledged this shortcoming and it is quite apparent that the level of realism and authenticity will not come close to what Combat Mission has achieved for the late war ETO. More than a few vehicles and other units present in Africa will not be included. To put it bluntly, this bucket won't hold much grog-water.

Looking past it's obvious foibles, however, we hope the mod will provide much fun for some, and some fun for many.

Thanks for showing interest, fellas. Any mod-maker will tell you it makes it all worthwhile! smile.gif

Clubfoot.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clubfoot:

Michael,

The mod will be available for download for free. Although we strive to reproduce the "feel" of combat in the African theater, we are unable to include any units not already coded in CM. Where possible, already existing AFV's will be changed cosmetically to produce a passable likeness of a different AFV with similar characteristics. But only if the change isn't a "dealbreaker" i.e. difference in size of main gun, passenger complement, or drastically different armor.

We realize and have acknowledged this shortcoming and it is quite apparent that the level of realism and authenticity will not come close to what Combat Mission has achieved for the late war ETO. More than a few vehicles and other units present in Africa will not be included. To put it bluntly, this bucket won't hold much grog-water.

Looking past it's obvious foibles, however, we hope the mod will provide much fun for some, and some fun for many.

Thanks for showing interest, fellas. Any mod-maker will tell you it makes it all worthwhile! smile.gif

Clubfoot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Judging by the screen shots, I would say the mods would be very convincing at portraying the latter phases of the campaign in Tunisia. I'm looking forward to it. I suspect much of the art will be applicable to Sicily as well. I know that British and Canadian units were not much different in 1943 than they were in Normandy and after. For infantry, all the weapons in use in CMBO would have also been used in Tunisia and Sicily - the PIAT may be an exception to Tunisia but it was definitely used in Sicily (but with some teething problems regarding rounds not detonating unless contacting the target square).

I know you'll keep us posted!