Should I stay in St. Vith, Belgium?

I need some advice on where to stay when I visit the Ardennes area this summer. I want to visit the battle sites and museums, read, walk around, drink and eat, and generally relax for one or two weeks. I will rent a car.

My guidebook recommends staying in St. Vith as a base to visit the smaller towns. I've never been in that area, but I read somewhere that St. Vith is kind of blah. No charm. I have previously enjoyed visiting the Mosel River wine area, which may be similar to the Ardennes.

I've only found the names of a couple of hotels in St. Vith or Malmedy on the internet. I want to stay somewhere comfortable and informal. I do not want to be around spa-seeking big money vacationers. I can afford to stay at a 2 or 3 star place.

Is St. Vith the best town to stay in that area? Any other suggestions of towns or hotels that are cool?

Thanks for any help. I really want to have a good week or two of history-based vacation. I need to make reservations now since I will be going in peak season.

Cheers,

Jake

------------------

Some days the sun just don't shine up a dog's behind.

-- Catfish Hunter

Originally posted by Lawyer:

I need some advice on where to stay when I visit the Ardennes area this summer. I want to visit the battle sites and museums, read, walk around, drink and eat, and generally relax for one or two weeks. I will rent a car.

My guidebook recommends staying in St. Vith as a base to visit the smaller towns. I've never been in that area, but I read somewhere that St. Vith is kind of blah. No charm. I have previously enjoyed visiting the Mosel River wine area, which may be similar to the Ardennes.

I've only found the names of a couple of hotels in St. Vith or Malmedy on the internet. I want to stay somewhere comfortable and informal. I do not want to be around spa-seeking big money vacationers. I can afford to stay at a 2 or 3 star place.

Is St. Vith the best town to stay in that area? Any other suggestions of towns or hotels that are cool?

Thanks for any help. I really want to have a good week or two of history-based vacation. I need to make reservations now since I will be going in peak season.

Cheers,

Jake

I was in the Ardennes in 1971. I'm sure there have been major changes but Clearvaux was a nice little town back then. So was La Gleize, but La Gleize is not very centered to the bulge area.

------------------

"Bother", said Pooh, as he shoved in a fresh magazine!

Hi Lawyer,

St. Vith was 99% wiped out in December 44. There is absolutely nothing left of the ancient town (I was there at eastern last year)

I would recommend to stay in either Clerf (Clerveaux) with its nice medieval Chateaux in the middle of the town (now Museum) and the old Abbey nearby (10 minute walk), or Malmedy.

enjoy your trip

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: TheDesertFox@gmx.net

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

Guest Warphead-

Hi, Lawyer,

here is a page with almost everything you can visit in the Ardennes concerning WWII (including a map):

http://bulge.free.fr/

Definitely pay a visit to La Roche it is a very beautiful town. smile.gif

------------------

http://www.nahverteidigungswaffe.de

"Haben die Krupp-Werke Betriebsausflug? Da rollt ja halb Deutschland auf mich zu..." (Vincent)]

a couple of years back we had a ASL get together in the Ardennes.

We stayed near La Gleize in the Chateau Froidcourt (well euh the old servants quarters actually... just beds/no breakfast). This was a very nice touch - the chateau itself having been a command post/hospital for part of Peipers troops.

In La Gleize itself you will find a King Tiger with Bazooka marks on its front hull.

If you want try a bigger place go for Bastogne. It has a big memorial + museum to do with the ardennes offensive and is quite centrally located in the ardennes for trips to see different sites. And there are more places to stay or eat and there is more to look at than a couple of cows and a shack...

Bon voyage

Vinci

Lawyer, hi,

I am lucky enough to have done two battlefield trips to the Ardennes. Just small private tours with a few friends and lots of beer. I have stayed in both St.Vith and Bastogne. My advice is go for Bastogne. There is nothing at St.Vith, more bars in Bastogne, but still a very small, rural town.

You will enjoy the trip there is lots to see.

All the best,

Kip.

Hey Lawyer! Didn't know you were serious about this trip when you mentioned it a while back. I was in Bastogne while I was stationed in Europe, and I highly recommend it. It's central location should be great for some day trips throughout the Ardennes.

BTW: You owe me a turn so I can finish whupping up on your Fallschirmjaegers...

Hi,

I also advise you Trois-Ponts or Stoumont town (20Km from la Gleize), very nice area and Peiper's track way. The La Gleize museum is a very good one. Bastogne and la Roche are very nice too (especially La Roche). To eat/drink typical stuffs from here: "boulet sauce lapin and chips" with an Orval Trappist beer. If needed I can scan for you maps of the areas you want to visit.(1:100.000 scale with a lot of details: church, ruins, trees, castles,...)

have a good trip,

Stephane

Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

I'm sure I speak for all Americans when I say that you should stay there a long, long time.

Get back in the cesspool you stupid git. I'll deal with you later.

------------------

Some days the sun just don't shine up a dog's behind.

-- Catfish Hunter