Horses and CM2?

What was the conclusion of whether BTS was too include horses in CM2?

I am playing a hilly wooded map with an inf gun at my disposal. Pushing this thing around got me to thinking how useful they could be in times like this. I realize their inherent vulnerability but if used carefully I could see them as valuable tool and an extreemely neat feature.

So whats the deal???

You would be well advised to do a search (it does work, it just takes a few minutes to process). This has been discussed many times before. In short, horses have no place on the battlefield – they are for transportation, and their work is done by the time battle starts. It has of course been argued that they were used on the battlefield, and trained not to be panicked by gunfire, or that the ambush of a supply column would make a good scenario or whatever, but BTS are no more likely to include horses than civilians. Cavalry is another matter, but in that case I think it's just too complex to model with the current engine.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darwin:

What was the conclusion of whether BTS was too include horses in CM2?

I am playing a hilly wooded map with an inf gun at my disposal. Pushing this thing around got me to thinking how useful they could be in times like this. I realize their inherent vulnerability but if used carefully I could see them as valuable tool and an extreemely neat feature.

So whats the deal???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve has said no to this many times lately. He said that would cause way to many problems with all the polygons for the horses and creating their own AI.

I went for a search first but with it stalling and me having a cable modem I figured it was bunk...

I followed many of the arguments on horses before but don't spend as much time here now days.

Their use would be minimal but in the rare situation where they could be employed they would freacking rock. I am thinking operations over hilly wooded terrain especially.

I can see the low priority of including horses in the manner I would like to see them. Nevertheless, this is the kind of stuff I want :D

My favorite battles are largely infantry with light support be it a couple armored cars or some inf guns. The inclusion of horses would greatly enhance the game I want to play...

Oh, and thanks for the quick response.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>In short, horses have no place on the battlefield – they are for transportation, and their work is done by the time battle starts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Battles didn't always conveniently take place after both sides had set things up just to their liking.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stacheldraht:

Battles didn't always conveniently take place after both sides had set things up just to their liking.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ding - round one of the old chestnut. In the left corner, the forces of reason. In the right corner, the horse worshippers.

Bet your money now - how long until Steve feels inclined to waste some of his valuable time to tell the assembled horseheads THAT THERE WILL BE NO HORSES IN CMBB?

Hey, why the long face? :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Ding - round one of the old chestnut. In the left corner, the forces of reason. In the right corner, the horse worshippers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, but which side would that put me on? smile.gif Seriously, I'm neutral on the issue, though I don't think something so prevalent should be written off out of hand. Both the Germans and the Soviets had horse cavalry in WWII, and horses were used extensively as pack animals. The Gebirgsjäger also used mules and even camels in that capacity. Of course, we don't see the commonly used motorcycles, either, but we do (happily) get lots of extremely obscure vehicles in CM, nonetheless. Remember, too, that CM does have gun tractors and so forth that players use, so please don't say that guns are all towed into position before the game begins, because that's just not so.

Of course, BTS has stated game design reasons for excluding horses, which is another matter entirely, and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with historical matters.

[ 07-08-2001: Message edited by: Stacheldraht ]