------------------

"Stand to your glasses steady,

This world is a world of lies,

Here's a toast to the dead already,

And here's to the next man to die."

-hymn of the "Double Reds"

Originally posted by Simon Fox:

I don't think they had those electromagnetic launchers in WWII biggrin.gif

No no, I meant like the "Big Bertha" or the Leopold, or the K5 gun. you know like the German 21cm guns mounted on railroad cars and transported, and fired on rail road.

OK, no worries, hehe.

I don't know that a lot of those saw much action in the west. Pretty rare anyway compared to battleship or cruiser support in Normandy. There may be a few old threads in the archives on this topic which a search could winkle out but I suspect rarity is the answer to your question.

BTW I suggest you go with the "It would be really cool if this were in the game" attitude rather than the "This should/must be in the game" technique. The former is likely to get you a lot further.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Simon Fox (edited 03-01-2001).]

OK, no worries, hehe.

I don't know that a lot of those saw much action in the west. Pretty rare anyway compared to battleship or cruiser support in Normandy. There may be a few old threads in the archives on this topic which a search could winkle out but I suspect rarity is the answer to your question.

BTW I suggest you go with the "It would be really cool if this were in the game" attitude rather than the "This should/must be in the game" technique. The former is likely to get you a lot further.

I hate it when Simon sermonizes. biggrin.gif

I don't believe there was such a thing as "on call" railway artillery - the Rate of Fire was sufficiently low to allow perhaps one or two rounds to be fired in the span of a CM battle, and not with much accuracy. They would be lucky to hit a 6km square target as we have in CM. I don't believe they were deployed in batteries, either...

If those bubbas weren't that accurate in the first place, I guess you wouldn't want to have them firing if you're playing on a medium or small map. Can you imagine one of those things landing smack in the middle of your Panzergrenadiers? Friendly fire isn't...

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

I hate it when Simon sermonizes.
Bah!

Rest assured, it took a supreme effort of will not to adopt my traditional Aussie barbeque style.

------------------

I don't think they had those electromagnetic launchers in WWII biggrin.gif

Actually, they did. Several working prototypes were found by the Allies after the war. They even had a 6 barreled gattling type version that was to be mounted on aircraft which was supposed to have a rate of fire of 6000 rounds per minute! The Germans cancelled the project when they realized that it would take enough electricity to power several large cities to achieve a useful muzzle velocity...