Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Name that offensive please

Does anyone know if there was an offical codename for the Soviet drive into Berlin? I've been looking through some books and can't find an actual name. I am not even sure if there was a codename beyond the "Berlin operation". Any info will be appreciated.

Funny thing is, I can't find one either. Could it be that code names were passe at this point in the war?

Certainly the plans were much more collaborative and dynamic in nature by then, less a product of Stalin and the Stavka setting out strategy to be followed to the letter, and more a working process which now included the more illustrious Front commanders in the planning.

Another thing, when did Operation Begration officially end? Was it with the liberation of Belorussia and the destruction of Army Group Center? Did it also include the Soviet drive into Poland up to the Vistula river? The books seem a little vague on when it exactly ended.

[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: Commissar ]

As far as I remember Bagration ended when the Red Army stopped on the Vitsula River.

When the Red Army was advancing at a fast pace, they simply named operation by the starting city (where the forces essembled) and the objective city (where the operation would end, or at least plan to end).

For example the "Vitsula-Oder operation". The drive from the vitsula river to the Oder. As the name suggests.

Or the Iassy-Kishinev operation. Same thing the forces were esembled at Iassy and theur goal was Kishinev! (I guess the Russians ran out of cool names to name their operations, j/k)

The Berlin operation was called the "Berlin Operation". (When Titans Clashed)

Hope that helps!