Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Need help on fictional "what-if" CMAK Berlin scenario

Greetings, everyone. Right now I'm working on a "What-of" scenario involving an American attack on Berlin. The scenario is mostly doen, but I'm having a bit of trouble on the briefing texts. Here's a rough version of the "Overall" Briefing:

Title: Berlin- Last Stand

Type: Meeting Engagement

Date: May 1, 1945

Region: All (Germany)

Weather: Overcase, Hot(?)

Terrain: Very Dry Dirt

Wind: None

Turns: 60

Author: "Publius Cornelius Patton"

It was the city that symbolized the heart of the Reich.

Though it was not among the most fervent supporters of Nazism, the city of Berlin became one of the major, if not THE major, target of the Allies by its virtue of being the capital of Germany.

For Western Allies and Russians alike, the capture of Berlin meant the end of the war and conclusion to their horrible ordeal. Patton told his venerable Third Army the shortest way home was "through Berlin and Tokyo" and that he would personally shoot Hitler himself. OTHER BERLIN COMMENTS.

Finally, on April 1, 1945, the Red Army reached the gates of Berlin. After two weeks of building up, the Battle of Berlin began.

During the siege of Germany's capital, the Russians barraged the city with air and artillery attacks while their soldiers fought the Nazis house-to-house and often hand-to-hand.

In the end, 305,000 Russians and 325,000 Germans lost their lives in the fray. Moreover the man most responsible for setting Europe aflame was not to be found; for Adolf Hitler, Führer of the Third Reich of Germany and instigator of the Second World War, committed suicide in his bunker, taking his life to avoid the judgments of man.

But what if...?

This scenario portrays a fictional Western Allied (mostly American) assault on Hitler's Chancellery complex in Berlin. For this battle I have decided to use The Graeme's "Berlin- Reich Chancellery" map. The military equipment and vehicles in the battle are not historical other than the fact that they were available to their respective armies in May of 1945. While this scenario does not claim to be historical in any way except for the map, and the particular commanders of three German "Battalion HQs," I do hope it is balanced and that you enjoy it well.

Please review this scenario at the "Scenario Depot" (http://www.dragonlair.net/combatmission/)

God bless,

"Publius Cornelius Patton"

As you can see, the text is incomplete. Do you like it? I do need some imput. Does anybody know of any quotes, anecdotes etc. about the siginificance of the Allies taking Berlin? (Allies saying once they take Berlin the war's over, etc.) I appreciate your advice.

God bless,

"Publius Cornelius Patton"

Maybe tell a bit more about this particular scenario. Okay, so it is the last stand, but is it for 2 players or vs. AI. Should AI stick to default. And also give more details on the battle. You state that it is a meeting engagement, so is it really one (and why, if it is a last stand?)? You know, more information for players to decide which side to take and what to expect before they read the side-specific briefings.

And I doubt it is actually 'hot' in that part of Germany this time of the year (unless you are intentionally seeking the effects of hot weather - faster fatiguing, more jams - designing for effect, like using fog to simulate smoke in a burning city). For a comparison of average, average high, average low, highest record and lowest record temperatures in Berlin, check here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/weather/longterm/historical/data/berlin_germany.htm

Maybe you could also cut short the last paragraph. Just stating that it is hypothetical (which is kinda obvious anyway smile.gif ) and putting the line "Map by The Graeme" next to "Scenario design by Publius Cornelius Patton" should be enough. Maybe also tell WHY this didn't really happen, i.e. why despite Patton's wishes it wasn't US troops that took Berlin, if you have any information or opinion about that.

Rudy did an excellent semi-historical scenario that I <u>really</u> enjoyed playing from The Proving Grounds called Hitler's Bunker. Would love to see another along the same lines - and a "what if" would be great! Will you be posting it for playtesting it at The Proving Grounds?